My first complete layout design

I may have missed it, but will the left side of your layout be against a wall? If so, you are going to want super, super, super solid track work in the upper left corner. That will be a hard to reach location.

Also, is the entrance to the engine facility raised or lowered or will it simply be a cross over? In the drawing, it looks like you have the turn out right ON the crossing track.

I may have missed it, but will the left side of your layout be against a wall? If so, you are going to want super, super, super solid track work in the upper left corner. That will be a hard to reach location.

Also, is the entrance to the engine facility raised or lowered or will it simply be a cross over? In the drawing, it looks like you have the turn out right ON the crossing track.

KB

There was mention at some point about the room not ending on the left side of the layout. I'm not sure if it was this thread or one from before but I will have room to reach the track from there.

The cross track will be elevated and not a crossing so I figured there shouldn't be any issue with the placement of the switch. I will get a layout update with my elevations to help everyone better understand.

Thanks,
Dave

I was just thinking about not having a revers loop on this layout and if I should do anything about it. I was thinking I can put a turntable on the layout and that would solve my issue. I would love to hear others thoughts on adding this to the layout or should I just not worry about it. Or add a reverse loop.

Dave

Just had a thought about an option to turn engines. I can connect the track from the asphalt plant to the front track at the engine facility and that's a quick way to turn around. A little more movement for fun too.
I'll get that added to the layout tonight to see how it looks.

Dave

I've got an update done and ready enough to share. I still need to work out the details on elevations like the layout elevations. I want it low so my son can play with the trains but not to low that I get nose bleeds when I'm adding cars to the layout. The track elevations are done but I need to set them based on the final layout table height.

I added a reverse track from the engine facilities so I can turn the engines around. It will cut into the asphalt plant area I was planning. I will need to rethink having the asphalt plant. I may spread out the cement plant and save the room for scenery. I also changed the siding track in the top left corner. I added a curve to it so I can later run that siding off the layout to a bridge to modules I can connect to the layout as I build modules for module clubs. This will add to the layout for ops as well.

Looking for input and any ways some of you out there with the experience running trains can make my plan better. Now is the time to get the feedback in before I get started on the building. I will be doing some as I get time but going into summer I can see the time to model will get shortened. I can plan to be ready to have the layout up for winter. the plan is ready to lay track or have track down by winter.

Dave

layouot-HD.jpg

I was just looking back on this tread and wow. I know it felt like a long time planning this layout but I just realized its been almost 5 years. It is time now to get this layout built.

Dave

I was just looking back on this tread and wow. I know it felt like a long time planning this layout but I just realized its been almost 5 years. It is time now to get this layout built.

Dave
Five years! I remember posting on this in 2011! Get it going. While I think there are some issues, you can and should start the benchwork before your son discovers girls. The first issue that I see is the crossover at the top. For better traffic flow, it should be two RH turnouts instead of LH. If you are going to use that spur to eventually connect to other modules, you are limited to either backing in (to Geo. Roberts) with only a short train that will fit, or pulling in and backing to the module. Access to Geo. Roberts will be a backing maneuver either way. The other potential issue is the lack of staging. This could be resolved by having a staging module on the left to connect to that spur. I would leave the asphalt/concrete facility as is. It is not really that cramped and you will appreciate the extra switching opportunity. Not sure about the pair of turnouts on the left side...why not just continue the double-track?
Willie

Yes, I'm getting on it now. Having my son and the past 4 years I've had little interest in modeling so this was more of an after thought. Now my son is old enough to enjoy it will be fun to do with him.

See my notes in your reply below:

... The first issue that I see is the crossover at the top. For better traffic flow, it should be two RH turnouts instead of LH. If you are going to use that spur to eventually connect to other modules, you are limited to either backing in (to Geo. Roberts) with only a short train that will fit, or pulling in and backing to the module. Access to Geo. Roberts will be a backing maneuver either way.

The access to the module will be fine being a back in only as the connecting to the layout will be for testing the module more than anything else. For small trains to the Geo Roberts siding, I'm ok with that. I was just looking to add a place to move some cars to for my own operation fun when my son isn't around. I agree the RH will be a better crossover to the siding tracks.

... The other potential issue is the lack of staging. This could be resolved by having a staging module on the left to connect to that spur.

You are correct I don't have a lot or any staging area on the layout. I did overlook this a little but I did plan on just having some cars in the industries only. Other than that I can see my son adding the cars each time he wanted to run more than having a yard to pull in and out of to build a train. Maybe later I will need to add this and with the 6' area to the left of the layout in the room can have one added. My main objective was a way to keep trains running for my son and give me a change to model some interesting industries. I also need to have a way to run some trains myself for fun.

... I would leave the asphalt/concrete facility as is. It is not really that cramped and you will appreciate the extra switching opportunity.
I too like the way the concrete facility is and I can see getting the asphalt plant in the area to the bottom of that loop without it too crowded. I do want the siding in there so I have a place to run trains and I do like the wye there to turn locos around now.

... Not sure about the pair of turnouts on the left side...why not just continue the double-track?
Willie

You are right, I never did think about that but I was thinking of space for more scenery but it's not like I get any more with the switches in there now. The layout isn't really a 2 track loop but that will add more space to store a train if my son is running loops for fun and I can play in the switches of the cement plant. I'll make the changes you mentioned and get it updated.

Thanks for the reply and ideas.
Dave

Here is the layout with new edits.

I'm now thinking I would like to work the second loop on the right of the layout to be longer and give me an option to reverse loop the layout. I plan to try that some but for now I like what I see. Well now I'm thinking it would be nice to see some storage yard on the layout. Maybe a few tracks between the hills at top left and the quarry. Thanks Willie! :p:rolleyes::D

Dave

layouot-HD2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave,

With respect to staging, have you considered "hiding" the tracks that are on the upper part of the layout (behind removable scenery)? This could give you staging tracks. Trains go past the quarry (moving clockwise) they enter a tunnel and go into staging. They exit staging just before the G.Roberts building. Just food for thought based on my limited experience (i got a similar layout space to work with).

The area marked "0-6' used for other than layout," I would recommend a couch and a mini fridge. :D

(no... seriously) :)

Dave,

With respect to staging, have you considered "hiding" the tracks that are on the upper part of the layout (behind removable scenery)? This could give you staging tracks. Trains go past the quarry (moving clockwise) they enter a tunnel and go into staging. They exit staging just before the G.Roberts building. Just food for thought based on my limited experience (i got a similar layout space to work with).

I can try to work this in as you say. The idea is along what I'm thinking already with the track in the back along the top wall being elevated since that is the track going over the track to the right side of the layout.
I think 1 or most 2 tracks can be squeezed in and that would be enough track to do what I need. Maybe just 1 track will get me enough and keep a chance to have 2 loops.

I think at this point I can see the layout is only a matter of tweaking the track work so I can get the bench built as I work on these changes. I do want to check as I think I can get a few more feet of track in behind the engine facility over the storage space. This could be space for some cars to park.

Thanks.
Dave

UPDATE: I've made more track changes to try and get more interest in running and some storage area. I don't have XtrackCAD here so the is only a photoshop graphic with edits. I will need to try and get the track to work on the layout when I have access to XtrackCAD again.
Same drill, let me know what you think and any ideas to get this track layout working.

Edit: the graphic is large so if you click on it multiple times you will get it to open in a new window and be able so see the notes and track.

Dave
layouot-HD2.jpg

Forget the XtrackCAD, and lay some track out on the benchwork to see how it fits. That's how it was done pre-computer days and that's how I still do it. I work from a very rough sketch on paper and try it out. Looks like there's plenty of room to make both grades at 2% or less. If you haven't already started the benchwork, get it going. If you have to add a 4' extension to a side somewhere, it's not too difficult (except against a wall). Please don't take this the wrong way, but be wary of overthinking. You'll never get anything done. You did say that it's been 5 years in planning.

Willie

You tell'em Willie. I never had a track plan when I built my layout, but know what I wanted to accomplish. I laid track trying to have as broad a radius that I could have. When it came to towns or industries, I learned the hard way to have the structures at least partially build so I knew for sure that everything would fit and then put down track to the industries.

I do like the concept of the layout Dave.

Willie, Chet,
I am at the point that I am starting my focus on the build. I keep on this design as my time away from my layout room to focus on my build. I had time at work a little today is what I was doing with the layout. I do recall working a layout without a plan and know all to well how you just "fit" the layout in.
In my defense of planning for 5 years I have had a son and for a time lost any interest in building a layout. I can only say I'm glad to be back.
The build will go on the ought the summer as I can. I want to be running trains this fall or winter so I will be working this any chance I get.

Thanks for following with me. I'm sure my questions are going to start to focus on the DCC system and things like that.

Dave

Well, just over 2 weeks since my last post so I figured I will check in and let you know I'm still doing things to get this layout REALLY built. I've been spending time in the basement cleaning up so I can get started on the build of the layout. I spent some time figuring out what wood I need to get for the layout table. My plan is a modular type table I can screw to the walls but is free standing. The big thing I'm designing in the table design is building it in sections.

Here is my question to post to the group on what to do about the legs of the tables? I see most often 2x2 pine legs are used. I was thinking this would be ok and maybe the best but also I thought about the 1x3 wood I'm using to build the tabletop frame. I could cut slots in the top of the 1x3 so I could make the leg height adjustable to keep the table level as well. What I would like to hear is other thoughts on what to use for the legs. I've read a lot about the banquet table legs, PVC tube, and 2x2 wood. I would like to hear any other thoughts.

Dave

Dave,

With respect to the legs of the tables i am using 45mm x 45mm solid (pine i think) legs, so i guess it is a bit smaller than a 2"x2". I got a layout size similar to yours but using several different connected tables (should be able to move to another house if needed). I have also put wheels on the legs which comes out handy when i need to pull the entire layout in order to work on out of reach areas. I hope this is of some help.

Yannis

2" x 2" or 1" x 3" doesn't really matter for supporting the trains, both will work. I use 2" x 2" because they are less expensive here. I use 1" x 4" for the frame supporting my 1/2" plywood layout table. All will support me if needed, but I don't make it a habit of climbing on top of the layout!!!!

Willie

Sounds about right. I wasn't planning on using the layout as a bed. But, you never know if I get in enough trouble I just may be in the doghouse. LOL
Dave

Back