My first complete layout design

railBuilderDhd

Here is a design for a layout I have made with 2 decks and no helix to get from deck to deck. Let me know your questions and be sure to give me any and all feedback as now it the time. Smallest radius on mainline is 32" and #6 turnouts are the smallest used. Many of the scenery element have not been completely worked out at this point but you can get an idea of how or what I would like to work into the layout. Such as, the mill will be along the back wall on the upper deck but the tracks for the mill can easily be different to serve the building of the mill. Remember this is my first layout designed so I'm sure I may have missed a few simple do or do not's that I would love to hear about. I will keep this tread updated as I make changes and see how it goes. I also have alternate layout designs I'm working on but this one seems to really use the room to it's best. Oh yeah, the layout is a modern era and fantasy based location.

Comments please!
Thanks for looking,
Dave

Upper Deck
basementDesign14eUpperDeck.png

Lower Deck
basementDesign14eLowerDeck.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great, I'm seeing big long coal drags and intermodals here!
On your lower deck there is a point where the elevation hits 49 then drops back down to 46 before climbing to 55, not sure why.
That double track bridge on the upper line crossing over itself will be a great railfan spot!

Kevin -
When I get it done you can come check it out or even when I only have the track done we can still run trains.

Rico -
The 55 elevation on the lower deck is the track running down from the upper deck to the lower deck and near the connection to the upper deck. The track connected to the upper deck to the middle of the wall to the right at 56" then runs along the top wall to 46" on the left side of the room.

If anyone wants to look at the XTrackCAD file PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of the layout file.

Dave

Your aisles are so narrow that only one person can be in the layout at any given time because people can't pass each other. So that leaves no room for visitors either. Suggest you consider 30"-36" aisles as a minimum.
Went on a layout tour today & took the attached picture. The aisle width is about 36" & it's just enough room for two people to pass each other.

That 46" to 55" grade in 14 ft seems a little steep to me...over 5% if my calculation is correct.

The numbers are either radius of the curves in inches or elevation of the tracks above the floor. Looks like there's plenty of run to keep the grades below 2%.

The calculation the software came up with was 2.6% grade. I think that's a little steep but not beyond what I've seen on others and my goal was to keep it below 3%.

Andy - thanks for the photo example. The narrow walkway is more of an issue then I thought and need to think about it.

Thanks all,
Dave

BTW: I just noticed the radius numbers for the upper deck are off. I'll get that fixed and update the images.

I'm not trying to be contrary and maybe I'm figuring grades wrong, but if the 46" is correct on the left side, I come up with this:
55"-46"=9"
14'x12"=168"
9"/168"=.0535 or 5.35%
Just trying to help. What am I missing? 2.6% would work easily but I don't see it unless the 46" is incorrect. Like Rico said, the drawing shows a drop from 49" to 46" and then up to 55". From the spot marked 49" to the spot marked 55", 2.6% is probably correct without the apparent drop.
If you're a lone operator, narrow aisles are not as big an issue; but 18" may be too narrow. Take two chairs and place them 18" apart and see how you fit. Remember we all get larger as we age.
willie

I check the original file and noticed there is an error with the marking I placed for the elevation. The 46" in question is not 46 but 49 and then the 46" should be at the bottom end of the curve and the 55' is 56". So the elevation change would go from 56-49-46 and then down the line. Sorry i missed that error before I posted the images. I'll get it fixed and change the images.

Dave

Wow, I can't get over it's been about 4 years since I have done anything here or on a layout.
Well, I'm not to surprised about that. I started to slow down then my wife and I had a son. Well he is almost. 3 now and he loves trains. That works out well for me but now I need to change the layout for short people access. I also lost a war on space in the basement so now the layout room has to house my workbench as well. I've been doing a new layout to reflect the changes and I would like to some feedback before I start the build.
I like this new layout because it will be less so I can get it up and running for my son top lay with but also I'm not treating it as if it needs to be the dream layout so I'm not trying to jam everything in the layout. That's good so I can just enjoy the build and share with my son. Maybe later we will rebuild to a better layout.

Anyway, I need to clean up the elevations on the layout and get the few sidings and yard done before I post. I will have it soon.
Glad to be back folks.
Dave

Glad to have you back Dave! I remember well the days of a new baby in the house. I lost a layout to that very situation when my son was born in 1984.

Well, I have a new update about to post. I've made a few changes like I cut down the size of the layout because the need for space and I want to build a layout my son can be a part of as well. I plan to build a layout for his enjoyment and ability to learn with me and later we can build a larger one. For me I will build dioramas and such so I can keep active in super detail work as I can but he will have a layout to play on. I'm sure the new layout will have a chance for me to run some fun ops with but the main focus will be fun for the kids.
I'll post up a new layout soon. I have the new bench layout on the plans and just need to get the track added before I can post.
For now I would love to hear about the best options for bench top wood. If anyone have links to threads from before would be great.
Thanks,
Dave

Well, I have some questions I need to throw out there for some of you that have more experience than I do with the building a layout. First, I wanted to know if OSB board can be used as the top for the bench work or what about using 1/2 MDF board? Can Homasote be used for bench top work or is it only good for the road bed? When using Homasote for roadbed is 1/2 thick to thick for the roadbed?
I was thinking of building the base for the bench work out of pine. I'm thinking of something like 1x3 or would it be better to use 1x4? Would 1x2 be to small to support the bench work top and all the model scenery or would it be ok? Getting closer to have this started for the winter season.

Thanks for all the input folks!
Dave

Can Homasote be used for bench top work or is it only good for the road bed? When using Homasote for roadbed is 1/2 thick to thick for the roadbed?
No, Homasoate will sag between the supports sooner or later. That is pretty thick but if it is precut to have tapered sides would not be terrible.

I was thinking of building the base for the bench work out of pine. I'm thinking of something like 1x3 or would it be better to use 1x4?
I've used both. The problem with 1x3 is the lack of clearance underneath for things like tortoise turnout motors. They hang down really far. So if you are using such things and want their wires protected by the benchwork, then 1x4 is better.

Would 1x2 be to small to support the bench work top and all the model scenery or would it be ok?
You mean 1x2's risers up from the 1x4" benchwork just to hold the bottom of the roadbed, building base, & scenery support? If so yes. That is a pretty common practice.

I used 1x3 stilts let's call them that hold the roadbed up and are fastened to the 1x4 benchwork.my benchwork is open grid and I also use tortoise switches . you have to paln for the turnouts for the tortoise switches that a cross member doesn't interfere with the mounting.

I preferred the 1x3 stilts (riser s) because of my roadbed being 3 inch or so wide and when I fasten ed the roadbed to the stilts I put screws on either side of the roadbed .

Here is an updated image of what I'm thinking of doing for my new HO scale layout. The layout will be 9x13' and the smallest curve will be a radius of about 24. Please let me know what you think or questions for now. This is a early draft of the layout and I'm just looking for any insight to errors I may have missed.

Thank you.
Dave

lowResLayoutImage.PNG

Your layout looks a little similar to mine. However, you have two reverse loops. Which may not be a problem but I don't know because I avoided them.

The smartest thing I added to mine is the "run around" area between g and h. This comes in really handy as I can drop off a string of cars and get the locomotive onto the other side of them for dropping off at the yard or over by d,e, and f for the industrial area. It also helps to sort cars. My area holds 7 cars, which is enough for the size of the layout, which is about 14 x 16, depending on how you measure it.

layout.png

L&S, I like your layout a lot and it is like mine. For a second reverse loop I figured I need one for each direction so I could change directions back and forth.
My area isn't as large as yours because I had to move my work bench and the workout bench/ treadmill too. Well, gotta have it all so I had to make room. I would like to hear what others thing of the 2 reverse loops.

Thanks Dave

Back