My first attempts at weathering

KevO

Has anybody got a dime ?
Here are a few shots of my first attempts at deliberate weathering. (ya I have a few pieces that accidently got weathered with overspray from a different project but they turned out OK)Those gons are Roundhouse N-scale sitting on Atlas code 55 track. I used Bragdon Weathering Powders which seem to work really well http://www.bragdonent.com/weather.htm . The Oregon Steel Mills gon has a resin scrap load heavily rusted. The DRGW Rail Gon has real aluminum foil squished into small squares to simulate stainless steel scrap squares. (say that really fast 5 times!)

So wadda ya'll think ? All critiques welcome ! PLEASE !

KevO

004.jpg

005.jpg

Very Nice! .. First car I did was a gondola...One thing about your 1st one, if your like me, you'll keep it forever! I still have my first Conrail engine I did and the gon that I made into a Conrail one from a yellow Tyco car..(I practiced on a dummy engine because it was cheap ;) !!) Don't be afraid to do the trucks and wheels too that will complete it!

Don't know how he did his but I used a heat tool and pressed hot nails (heated by a candle)and the tip of a wood burner on mine...even a candle warming the sides soft and pressing out between the supports.

I used just a small screw driver to form the dings and dents. Be careful as not to malfore it too much and stab yourself like I did.

If you try to do this and find the plastic to thick or stubborn just use a hair dryer to heat things up.

KevO

Ahhh, I used my Electric stove to heat the gondola's I've worked on so far. I'll try that next.

AVAST ! Ya I kinda fall into the 'pirate' genre'. Especially because I'm with the Western Pacific Railway Museum in Portola, CA. They like to run the jolly when they leave thier property on the UP Feather River Canyon. I have that flag above my bed ! My girlfriend loves it !

I have a good friend downstairs from me that is a drummer in a local band. Rick is his name. He is going to some drum place )DJ or something ? ? ?)this week to have his custom set made.

KevO

Thats cool!..(that he's gettin a custom made set...not that you have to live above a drummer...LOL) I am a drummer for a local Pa. band and am sponsored by Saluda Cymbals and they made me a custom one of a kind set of cymbals. (see my bio on their site in my signature). Welcome aboard!..Shiver me timbers and all that!

Yeah his band name is BAD NEIGHBORS ! But he has a set of electronic drums fro pratice at home so he uses his headphones. All I really hear is a wood pecker knock.

I like what you did to the RailGon.

On the other one, I wonder if you haven't made the dents too deep for their width? It seems that most of the ones I've seen are more "wide & shallow" rather than "narrow and deep."

Still, it's better than I can do right now, that's for sure!

Yeah his band name is BAD NEIGHBORS ! But he has a set of electronic drums fro pratice at home so he uses his headphones. All I really hear is a wood pecker knock.

Cool Name!...and cool of him to think of the neighbors too!

Back