My first attempt at a Diorama started, HO

Mogul2-6-0

Rookie Switchman
Motives:
Fun, pics, learning, not ready for full layout yet, practice.

First round of supplies and tools:
Dec2009127.jpg

Basics:
Dec2009130.png

Started sculpting, looking for better foam:
Dec2009143.jpg

More to come... I hope
Thanks in advance to everyone. Great inspirations and excellent advice so far.
The old Tyco and Atlas stuff are just for perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good start. WV, the bumper may indeed be part of the diorama, showing the end of track of a servicing facility. Let's give the poor guy a chance to get done first. :)

Is this is operational diarama?

I see you have a re-railer and bumper, or do you plan on using the rerailer as a crossing?

LOL like I actually know what I'm doing. ha ha
I really do appreciate any and all suggestions, this is a learning experimentation project for me.
Yeh just trying the bumper out, probably loose it, just looked clean.
need a miter box and better saw now.
was considering using the rerailer for crossing not sure yet.
May just put in a wooden water tank only. Like a spot on local Carrizo Gorge Line, Dos Cabezas.
Just found a place that has the 1" blue DOW extruded polystyrene foam board, may switch to that.
trying to squeeze in a few different elements for the experience and fun
mountain, portal, retaining wing wall,timber, little stream, abutment, short timber trestle, water, at least one structure, figures, animals, terrain, trees, ballast, grass
(and special thanks to Jim and Josh)
Update: got T pins for foam from wall mart craft section, and 6 foam paint brushes for 1.50, got can of 3M adhesive spray, got some colored makers, detailed some track with em, weathered rails and silver spikes. blue foam place isnt open on weekends darrn, recycled some cans and plastic = $75, going to hobby central at lunch, cha ching.
Downloaded XtrakCAD need to run tutorial.
removing bumper and crossing
Update: got (plaster) WS timber portal, wing walls, mold a scene, earth and green washes, shrubs. ugh, expensive
Update: 2/9/10 Got small wood trestles, deck, abutments, stringers?, Atlas code 100 NS track to run over it, NS joiners, OMG $45 need, water barrel, saw, more time...money..patience...
(next time I'll get exactly what I want cheaper online, but I like my local Hobby Central, instant gratification and all, I call it "The crack house") need a singlwe semaphore spot signal or something too, and a mile marker, need more local pics too
Update: 2/16/10 Thanks to Presidents day holiday I got down to Mac Arthur co. in National City Monday, picked up 3 1"x2'x8' sheets of DOW square edge (blue stuff) extruded polystyrene foam insulation board the "original styrofoam" $11.57 ea.
Started teraforming all over with it, Nice so far,
Update: Slow going , no time, finally started glueing the trestle together , looks nice, long way to go. mountain and tunnel are next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back