My Favorite Weathering Style:

Brakeman Hal

I like the appearance of the locomotives just as they rolled out of the erecting shops at Baldwin, Lima, and Alco.
Brand New and Shiny!

I grew up during the glory days of the steam era: 1940's -1950's. Spent many days with my Dad, a PRR Fireman, in the cab of an 0-6-0 switcher.
As a 6-to-8-year-old boy, I learned the function of every lever, gauge, and valve in the locomotive. Dad fired a 2-8-2 Mikado on the mainline runs during WW2.

Brakeman Hal, age 83

Last edited:
In 1969 on my first run firing to Chatham NY at milepost 114 my engineer remarked remember that mile post. I asked why? He said, because if you were firing a steam engine and not a diesel you could finally put down your shovel. I said, oh that's good news.
George

George, in the more modern steamers, such as the 2-8-2 Mikados and larger, there was the "Automatic Stoker", which relieved the Bakehead from a lot of toil when the big hungry loco was hauling a mile-long consist of steel for the Eastern war plants.

There was a steam-driven auger screw that transferred coal from the tender directly into the firebox.
But when I assisted the crew during yard duty on the 0-6-0 switcher, I would step on the pedal that opened the clamshell firebox doors while my Dad shoveled in a few scoops of "black diamonds".

Brakeman Hal

Last edited:
Around 1996 my wife and I made a trip to Steam Town when into the cab of one of the loco and watched the fireman shovel coal into the firebox. I guess it could have been a switcher I can't remember? Now I remember it was a 4X6X2 Canadian Passenger steam engine. He said, you had to be in good shape.
George

Last edited:
The 4-6-2 is known as the "Pacific". It was mainly used for passenger service but could also be found in light freight service.

I run one in O Scale 2-Rail for my "Calico Freight Lines" but the one on display is from a G Scale train I used to run on a 150-foot indoor layout.
Hal
004.JPG

Back