My fanatical obsession bordering on insanity

GAPPLEG

SP modeler
I did post this on another forum, but thought I'd drop it in here too. I am attempting to build a model of a GE 7FDL engine. This is the latest photo showing the heads and turbo installed. The block is a resin casting of the master I made. The progressive photos are on my photobucket under projects., or insanity.

GEBLOCK1.png

The big problem I've run into is the turbo, I couldn't find a way to make a casting of it. So it ended up as a one of a kind , hand built unit. most of the other parts are molded. The basic block I can turn out quickly, the heads I have four molds of so I can turn out four every couple of hours. Same with the filter housing, made a mold of it and cn make one every hour or so. I still think I'm deep into mental illness for trying this.

Thanks for sharing your obsession. I appreciate the skill and effort that you've put into this "insanity", but to what end? Do you plan on using it as cargo on a flatbed or as detail, maybe in an engine shop, or is it just a stand alone project? Is it HO scale (or a MRR scale)?

Trevor:)

Yes, Trevor, it's all HO scale, On my layout is a GE service shop. Which exist in real life (even in Canada) We have service shops in Port Coquitlam, Winnipeg, Calgary, Montreal. About 10 more located all over the US. Anyway, I just wanted a model of a GE prime mover for the service shop scene. Heres a picture of the service shop:
HPIM0105.png

It turned into a project from heck ! Not that I mind. It's something I wanted to do.At present the service shop has several emd567's out front one loaded on a flat, one waiting to be loaded. As a thread that started on the other site , Antoniofp45 wondered why no one made models of the engines that the different companies had. The only one made is the emd 567 model by Walthers. The basic block of this model started with that model. i guess I've rambled enough. I hope I answered your question .

Complete as far as I'm going to go. Here is the GE prime mover. God it looks awful close up !

RIGHTSIDE.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Had an old c4400 shell. cut off the rad cab and just built the stuff that hangs out on the interior of a rad cab. Usually not seen by many people. I work at GE so I can gander at the stuff to see what it looks like. The red ends on the pipes are like the plastic caps you see on pipe in the hardware store, except on the real thing they are about 6 inch across. Protects the opening during shipping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back