My epiphany!

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I have been pretty excited about starting a new layout, but I have to admit some regret in tearing down the Rock Ridge and Train City. Especially since Rock Ridge was shaping up so nicely...

Then it dawned on me. The top section, Rock Ridge, is about 75% done and the trackwork has not broken down. It has a circle track with a turnout for the future mine. I can lift that section off give it a new frame and save it as a 3ft x 4ft layout/diorama. Then when I design the basement layout, I can drop in this section and have the mine operation intact. I'll have saved the best of the layout.

traincity42.gif

traincity46.gif

traincity50.gif

traincity27.gif

mongo05.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
60% of my steel mill trackage was brought over from my previous layout. Unfortunately, it suffered much abuse during the transition and I ended up spending more time repairing it than if I'd laid all new track. I probably won't do anything like that again...

Of course, a simpler track scheme with the scenery and ballast already applied (as in your case) should be much better suited for transplanting.

For those of you who haven't been following this sage, the "Rock Ridge Module" is being transplanted. See the post, "The Resurrection of Rock Ridge" for details.

Back