My dilemma!

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
So, somehow my wife, and her infinite wisdom, managed to buy me a UP GP50 for Christmas. However, UP no longer owns a TRUE GP50, they DO have this:
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46409
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46410
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=46411
Quoted from Locophotos:
"UP designation is MP20GP, 1 of 13 converted from retired MP GP50 locomotives by Motive Power Industries at Boise, Idaho, with Caterpillar 3516C diesel engine, with Tier 2 compliance, which includes EFI fuel injection and aftercooling, to be assigned for work in Texas, in and around Houston."

However, I model Cajon, so they don't exactly fit in. The bashing shouldn't be all that hard though, some hacking on the filter cabinet, and dynamic brake, new paint, and I'll be there...

They also have these (I can only find UPY 939 & 940):
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=265928

This is basically a slug. Place a non-db hatch, and plate over the air filter cabinet vents and I'm "done".

So should I hack to model one of these, even if neither of them see California, or should I strip & repaint to BNSF?

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Well given that I have seen your talent on modeling UP.
I vote you do the UP designation MP20GP w/ that lightning stripe:p
That's my vote! Then again dont say never as far as these units making it to California!:eek:

:D Well given that I have seen your talent on modeling UP.
I vote you do the UP designation MP20GP w/ that lightning stripe:p
That's my vote! Then again dont say never as far as these units making it to California!:eek:
Very true, well wait upon a few more responses then I'll decide what will become of it. I figure the Slug version is out, as they rarely make it anywhere in through trains, and I have no UP "locals" or switching... The MP20GP is more of a road engine, and more likely to show up.

What ever you do make sure you get it on the layout. The last thing you want is for your wife to think she failed to get you the right thing. She may discouraged and never buy you anything again.

If you decide to change it, make sure you tell her that it is just what you needed that it is as close as she could have gotten and that you are bashing it the rest of the way.

( My wife won't buy me anything for the layout. I told if she wanted to to log onto here and email some one that knows me by my first name--then ask them what to get.--With my luck you'll send her to eBay to corner the Tyco rolling stock market.)

What ever you do make sure you get it on the layout. The last thing you want is for your wife to think she failed to get you the right thing. She may discouraged and never buy you anything again.

If you decide to change it, make sure you tell her that it is just what you needed that it is as close as she could have gotten and that you are bashing it the rest of the way.
Not to be worried, she said she wasn't sure what she was ordering anyways, she said she just hopes I can use it! The Dash 9 was awesome (though it needs work), I just don't know, I figure someone listed the GP50 as an SD50, or SD40-2 (asked for both in UP colors) and, being cheep she grabbed it up. It needs a drive shaft & worm gear/housing, and handrails (perfect candidate for Smokey Valley!). So now, when I pick her up from work I'll ask her, though I doubt she knows. But yes I will explain how I'm going to attack this unit.
( My wife won't buy me anything for the layout. I told if she wanted to to log onto here and email some one that knows me by my first name--then ask them what to get.--With my luck you'll send her to eBay to corner the Tyco rolling stock market.)
Hey now, I was ACTUALLY sending her to the IHC area.

Huh, this project is getting deeper really fast. In order to get the MP20GP, I'll have to hack the fans, get a non-db hatch, remove the cab, nose & base for Cannon ones, Smokey Valley handrails, new steps *its missing one on the rear*, diamond tread, a new air filter cabinet, new grills on the rear, and new paint... I'd be able to sell this baby for $300+ by the end. Maybe thats where the present lies within this? Building a super custom unit, selling it and buying myself a tower 55 unit?

So this one will be going up for sale once I get it done, give me 2 months. any takers? ;)

:rolleyes: Well ...maybe:rolleyes:
When does the shop work start? Keep us posted and just maybe I know someone who would like to add another UP unit to his roster...;)

Now if you were doin it as the high nose NS unit.. maybe but I dont see too many UP's around here. Oh well.
Seeing what youve done in the past, it'll be a nice unit no matter what ya end up doin with it!

Now if you were doin it as the high nose NS unit.. maybe but I dont see too many UP's around here. Oh well.
Seeing what youve done in the past, it'll be a nice unit no matter what ya end up doin with it!
Oh, I'll do that eventually, but I've decided that unit will come from a new RTR GP50.

I'll keep ya'll updated, maybe I can even pitch this one to RMC & MR... ;)

I concur.

It could live inside the engine house where rivet counters (the bad kind) won't look so closely, then you can roll it out and run a few laps now and again when your wife will see it.

I agree! Sometimes it is in your favor to be....... uhm, ah, ...... Politically Correct. My late wife used to use the phrase, "how goods your memory!" ;) ;) :D

Meh, she knows I'm a nip-picker, and if something isn't "right" I change it. She agreed that building something that can earn me enough to buy a tower 55 unit, is all good to her! She see it as, "i bought the cheep unit, he made the expensive one out of it, and bought the one he wanted but we could not afford"...

So when did UP actually retire the GP50's? Even if you kept it as a GP50 you would be happier with upgraded details and so on. Since you are going to sell it anyway, customize it as a GP50. Run it a few times on your layout, take some pictures and then sell it. One thing about modeling, the time frame can be bent, warped or what ever without too much damage to the universe. :D
I mean in my world, SD60's are going to share diesel shop space once in a while with F units. Couldn't happen you say, well it did in the late 90's in Stockton CA. WP913 was brought down to Stockton and it sat next to SD60's and what ever else was in the shop for a few days. Enjoy the present, trick it out, run it a bit then finance your Tower 55. :)

Greg

Back