My Capacitor Discharge Unit

tankist

i built transistor operated one based on this (scroll down a bit):
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/CDPSU.html

and the most awesome part - surprisingly it even works! :D

powered by separate 18V suply for HP printer
CIMG1369-vi.jpg

here is the voltage comparator based current blocking charge unit with 2 discharge transistors. basically ready to operate 1 turnout as is. LED indicates "charged". while i'm not going to see it normally i chose to keep it for troubleshooting purposes (and since i really like LEDs :) ). activation of coils is by shorting the appropriate double pin headers. the 2 wire terminals on the left connect to additional discharge boards (6 channels - 3 turnouts each). the lone pin header carries the comparator input to the next boards.

no sticky welded buttons and burned out coils for me :D
it does look quite ugly but it will be hidden from view anyways. i still need to see if the 25V 2200mF capacitor will throw more then one turnout at once.

CIMG1370-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking units. I like the LED "Charged" indicators. Many years ago I made a unit from a book by Peter Thorne. The unit still works after all these years and several moves. I can't find the book so I don't even know what I used in the circuit. Question: Can CD units be used with Tortoises? My guess is no since Tortoises move slowly. (I'm no electrical whiz.)

Nice looking units. I like the LED "Charged" indicators. Many years ago I made a unit from a book by Peter Thorne. The unit still works after all these years and several moves. I can't find the book so I don't even know what I used in the circuit. Question: Can CD units be used with Tortoises? My guess is no since Tortoises move slowly. (I'm no electrical whiz.)

thank you. sorry, somehow i completely missed your post .
your guess is correct, i don't see how CDU can be used for tortoises. but Rob has really nice circuits for stall motors as well

pluggin on

middle board still needs the power feed and one more resistor per channel
CIMG1401-vi.jpg

inside the control panel
CIMG1402-vi.jpg

Back