My Big Shed layout

Pretty impressive stable of locos you have acquired! I'm admitting to just a little jealousy.:p Both of the trains and the fact that summer is arriving!!!

It sounds like John is one of those "rivet counters". LOL

Graig, your layout looks great, you run what ever you want, its your railroad.

Motley

The level of detail in anyones layout is a personal thing.

I wish I had the time and patience to make it prototypical.

I am and will continue to the highest level of my skill and patience.

To all who have given advice and those who have given confidence,
I wish all the very best for the season and merry xmas

cmaceeepc
Craig

Update

Well with xmas now past and the new year underway, I have now a chance to post this update.

Decisions made over the last few weeks have changed my plan for the layout. With my purchase of my DCC system it set the seeds of curiosity about automation of the layout.

After trolling the net and as many sites I could I made the decision to purchase RAILROAD & CO -BRONZE. I had downloaded the trial version and with a simple test track was able to use the program to shuttle a train through a couple of points and back. Just this was enough to get my mind in a spin as to what I could achieve on my layout.

I have also decided to use Digitrax products for the automation.(My NCE PowerCab will be used on my Test Track as I still prefer it for manual use.)

Firstly I have purchased an DCS50, DB150, Locobuffer-USB, 2 x DS64, 4 x BD4,and I am witing for my first BDL168 to arrive.
Also on the wish list is to have operational signalling, I am bending towards the SE8C to run the signals (more for the integration with the other Digitrax products I have and will have.

Again as I have always asked, If anyone has any advice please advise.
(Note I am doing this "blind" as I dont have a club or LHS I can talk to.)

With a couple of other purchases over xmas I have completed (for now) my loco roster.
Also picked up some foam road bed to install on the main deck - With mods required to block the main deck I thought it an opertune time to do what I should have done in the first place.

Thats all for now

cmaceeepc
Craig

Wow, you aren't messing about!! ;)

I definitely want JMRI on my layout, but I'm still undecided on exactly how much of a role it will play. Anyone who's used it will agree it's invaluable for programming locos, but I may end up leaving its usage at that. Automation such as signals and block detection is grand and certainly cool to watch in action, but there is also something to be said for the physical throwing of switches. You can still electrify & motorize your layout without removing the need for human interaction. That's probably where I'll start off, and then if I feel the need to automate it later all I need to do is add the brains.

TrintyJone
Pete

Trust me this is work in progress, Somethings will be half done for quite a while.
I love the idea of sitting back and watching things happen.

Doing something I have not done before but still able to use my "skills" to conquer the unknown is great. Worst thing that could happen is that it doesnt work and then I get to find out how to fix it - a modellers life

cmaceeepc
Craig

Do you have any new pictures to share? Maybe of the whole layout if you can get that in one picture?? Would like to step back and see your whole layout, or a few diff pictures of your layout;) If no new pictures, thats ok, ive been following along, but really havent been posting, sorry

Over the past two days I have read through your thread and must say that you accomplished a lot in a little amount of time. Actually one of the quickest that I have seen. Though I do not model in N or have a layout just yet, I am impressed by what you have. Also I do like your locomotive collection. Please keep us posted as to your updates. Also when you talk about automation, you may want to check out Bob Helm on you tube. His impressive Clinchfield HO scale layout has just about everything you want plus he even has defect detetors as well as a working digital scale for his coal loads.

photogdad / joed2323

Thanks for your responses

Yes its been quick probably to quick but thats the way I work.

Briefly all the track works, switches (peco points motors) all work, 1 x reversing section to be fixed.
I have verged over to the Digitrax world with a DCS50, DB150(still to be put in line) 2 x DS64, 4 x BD4 (will upgrade to 2 x BDL168), Locobuffe- USB and Railroad & Co Train Contoller Bronze.

My NCE PowerCab will be used for test track functions (NCE USB)

next:
Waiting on quotes or delivery for/of
BDL168 X 2
SE8C X 2
SMBK X 6 SETS
SDCK X 2
SMHK X 3 sets
3 aspect signals x 15

That I believe should be enough to set up auto contol, signalling etc
The putting together should be a snack - the programming/setup electronically will probably send me stir crazy (or more)

If anyone can throw some advice on the setting up please I am a sponge for info :D

Thanks

cmaceeepc
Craig

I am a long way off from running trains, but I am also interested in DCC and automation, so I will be following this thread as well as others.

Craig, Rexhea here on the forum, has automated his layout with signals etc, using RR&Co's software. You may want to send him a PM asking for advice. His is a rather large layout.

Cjcrescent

Thanks for the heads up on Rexhea,
I have tracked down some of his posts and will be in contact with him about some of the finer details of auto control.

Onwards

cmaceeepc
Craig

UP4-8-8-4

Thanks

The layout was a figment of my imagination - aspects contained are things I have seen in other layouts and is combined as such.
Among all the other tasks that are underway I would also like to put a DCC turntable in as well (Better not let the boss know just yet!!!!!)
First things I am hoping to finish is the computer control - big job but really enjoying the learning curve

With more homework under my belt I have drawn up my schematic of the block detection and the turnout controls -
In the block detection I have drawn a PM42 but following some forum surfing I will probably go with PSK type power controller
Drawing the schematics has shown that I will need more BDL168's and DS64's to cope with the required control I want
See my idea for the circuitry

Block Detection Schematic

BlockDetection-wiring2.jpg

DS64 Wiring Schematic

DS64wiring.jpg

I had found it hard to imagine how and what to do with the control ciruitry as most suppliers give very little away to help with design and installation.
The idea to draw it out came from Oliver Mayes (http://www.omayes.com/ModelRailRoad/ModelRailRoadPage.html)

Well I will have to scrape some pennys together for this next bit

cmaceeepc
Craig

Looks like you're getting ready to take another giant step! If past performance is any indication, this should be another success. Good luck and I'll be following along and trying to learn as you go.

Those schematics are bonkers! I feel faint just looking at them. :p I tip my hat to you, sir. Are they generated by this software you're using or did you do those up yourself in another program?

I don't know how much electronics hardware you have already purchased/ordered but you might want to check out RR-CirKits products.

They have a unit called a TC-64. When used in conjunction with their other products you can do train detection, turnout control, signal control, etc. All with a very easy to use product line.

It connects to the DigiTrak LocoNet.

You might also want to check out RR&C TrainController software line. Amazing set of tools for controlling a railroad.

Back