My bench and not so special tools

TLOC

I have been working at the bench making wire armatures trees. Here is my overloaded messy work bench, located under a portion of the layout and also used as my programming track.

The not special tool is the old wife approved frying pan. I kept making foil trays when I sprinkled leaves on the wire branches. When it comes time to pour back the overage, it was a pain. Now I sprinkle over the pan and whatever it is coated with works great for pouring back in the bag. TomO
9C31A0A8-A8C3-4380-8803-ABA2D28302EE.jpeg

Alan, Those look neat! I have been making sanding sticks all my life using various grits of paper.
I usually buy the cheap foam core emery boards at Sally's Beauty Supply or Wal Mart but these are especially useful for weathering and distressing scale lumber. there is quite a process to go through in some of the craftsman kits. Graining with a fine razor saw blade to enhance grain, removing fuzzies with fine steel wool, adding knots and also distressing and damaging individual boards. I need the stiffness and the fine edges these provide for that. This is not my work but illustrates what these techniques can yield when properly done:
Wall.jpg

I have been working at the bench making wire armatures trees. Here is my overloaded messy work bench, located under a portion of the layout and also used as my programming track.

The not special tool is the old wife approved frying pan. I kept making foil trays when I sprinkled leaves on the wire branches. When it comes time to pour back the overage, it was a pain. Now I sprinkle over the pan and whatever it is coated with works great for pouring back in the bag. TomO View attachment 117922
Great looking trees, how did you manage to get your wife's blessing to have a cozy spot like that?

Yikes, something else might go missing if she ever reads this thread! 😆

And for a reasonable fee she won’t ...

Back