My Athearn C44-9W SP UP Patch Super Detail and Weathering Project

the cab pops off... its pretty easy to do...but taking the glass out is a nightmare!

zgardner18.... thats what i do actually.. i build these and sell em..and have repeat customers who send me locos and i detail, weather, and send em back.. ive done about 6 so far... getting better each time.. and i got some cool goodies for the next dash 9 i do.. i found etched radiator grilles, and the front entry door..so the next one will have an open front door and etched grilles:)

do tell about the etched grills and door. I am currently putting in sound in those engines and some grills would help

im always on the lookout for every detail part i can find.. and check ebay frequently... here are the part numbers to each of them

Detail Associates #2724 Grille Set C44-9W Athearn

Details West #372 Etched Front Door/For GE Dash 8/9

okay is this ho or n scale... im into n scale so would you be able to weather an n scale kato sd70ace?? and also patch a southern pacific c44 dash 9 in n scale with a up patch job?? thanks

ive only done ho scale... not to say im not up to the challenge... the weathering on the sd70ace shouldnt be a problem at all... id have to source a decal kit for the patch job and take a look at the decals.. but i wouldnt see it being out of my skill level

nice ive got 2 union pacific locomotive that i would like weathered and a kato southern pacific patched to a union pacific.. lmk and thanks.. ill pm you my info..

Really nice work!

My I ask where you got the GE style Coupler lift bars. I have been looking for them for so long?

Really nice work!

My I ask where you got the GE style Coupler lift bars. I have been looking for them for so long?

You can actually just bend the ones into shape and they look just fine. That is what I did for mine.

Its the one on the right

IMG_3160.jpg

Really nice work!

trust me, im right there with ya! been looking forever for someone to manufacture them... very odd that nobody does!

as stated above, all i did was take a normal one and bend it to resemble GE ones..it isnt perfect, which bothers me, but we do what we have to do..lol

GE Style? I have some Atlas geeps with those same coupler lift bars.

atlas comes with them from the manufacturer... athearn and other companies dont.... i thought about using atlas ones, but they are plastic and too thick for my taste

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I will have to try that. On my last few GE's CNW 8701 and 8646 I used some Kato ones that I had lying around. I really wish DA or DW would start making them.

I have been wanting to do this to a few dash 9s I have as well and it gets very overwhelming trying to determine what parts you need that are correct for the dash 9. Im a BNSF modeler. Doesnt one of the detail companies make a pre-bundled kit for detailing these locomotives?

I have been wanting to do this to a few dash 9s I have as well and it gets very overwhelming trying to determine what parts you need that are correct for the dash 9. Im a BNSF modeler. Doesnt one of the detail companies make a pre-bundled kit for detailing these locomotives?

Chris, Details West makes this kit. It's for ATSF, close as you can get to a BNSF set.

DS-232 GE DASH 9-44CW
DETAIL SET: ATSF

Yup. I forgot to mention that I looked at those Details West pages months ago to help determine what I need for my Dash 9s. Its nice that they are bundling a set together to help with that and give you the part numbers for the added parts outside of the kit.

Back