My 4th of July Trains

Louis, these are simply some of the coolest trains I've seen you post yet. I LOVE the Seaboard Coast diesel..is that a GP9? Great engine!

Great post all around, your sister sounds like an incredible person setting up your trains like that and I am SURE she is still with you everyday. Thank you for sharing my friend!

RedRyder77 thank you for looking.

The Seaboard is a Lionel 6-1776, She is a model of a GE U36B. Lionel in the 70s was not known for prototypical accuracy, but I love those MPC era trains! It was made form 1974-1976 I found it, the caboose and the all 13 Lionel Bicentennial state boxcars on eBay for under $300, a real bargain!

I wish I had your skills for creating scenes but for me I stick to mostly tracks, trains and a few accessories. I do have lots of vehicles on my layout! I can't wait to see what you create next, I hope you post it on the forum. I know you will do something for Christmas, but I am hoping you have time to do a Halloween scene as well.

A Halloween scene - that would be great! Actually, looking at my layout - that is a natural Halloween scene :)
Halloween scenes were always popular with the Youth in Model Railroading modular units. Seems there was always a haunted house, zombie town, cemetery, or similar module that one of the kids had done. It is funny though, I don't ever remember having two simultaneously. In contrast there was one show where three Jurassic Park modules showed up.

Here is another picture I forgot to post

This is the locomotive that got me started. Tyco Spirit of 76 ALCO 430 Presidential Seal.jpg

As for Halloween, it's less than 3 months away,

The older I get the faster the days pass by. That just does not seem fair, but fairness can be hard to find beyond our zone of control.

All in all life is good. Every day you can get up and go is a good day, thank God!

Horseman,

I never really thought about "scenes" like that in conjunction with model railroading ... could be an interesting project.

Louis,

Have always liked that engine, from the first time you posted it. Being what you got you started makes that a pretty special one I would imagine :)

Tony you should see some of the scenes RedRyder77 creates, they look like something you would have seen in a high-end department store windows back in the 50's.

I know you are not an O gauge guy but here is a link to a book that is soon to be released http://ctt.trains.com/issues/2015/lionel-trains-best-layouts--store-displays I can't wait to read it. Those store displays were mostly for Christmas, but the concept can be applied to any occasion.

An interesting fact; Lionel trains were not first marketed to consumers. They were first sold to store owners to display their various items in a gondola running back and forth in the store's window. The store owners were getting more requests for the train then they were the items they were displaying and the idea of Lionel Trains was born.

Yes that "cheap" Tyco locomotive is priceless to me and she runs great in good old DC!

I never really thought about "scenes" like that in conjunction with model railroading ... could be an interesting project.
Or projects. The museum layout has about 100 mini-scenes on it. I've posted various trains in the antelope scene many times. Here is the food wagon scene.....
IMG_3155.jpg

The Boulder Club has a contest each year for a 900 square foot mini-scene. I bombed out with my entry last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOST awesome!!! Your first post really got me, could not agree more. My Mom is my inspiration for my layout, it's all the toys she could never afford to get me when she wanted to. You have an incredible collection of outstanding ordinance there, bet it looks great when fired!

Well Done!

Iron Horsemen that scene is very cool indeed and exactly the kind of thing I was referring to.

I am assuming the Boulder Club's contest is a scale 900' square mini-scene?

Thank you very much New Guy, you obviously understand where the impetus for my train hobby comes from. I am glad to hear we have that in common. In one way or another almost all model railroaders have something in common. It's always especially cool to meet another model railroader who sees his/her trains as I do, thanks again for your kind words and sharing your story.

To borrow from your analogy (I like very much by the way!) When I fire up my trains, for me it's an artillery barrage general Zhukov would have been proud of!

The hum of electric motors of my older locomotives. Engine sounds, crew talk and smoke from modern locomotives. The clackety clack of metal wheels crossing joints in the track. The designs, colors and actions of animated and static accessories. All these things and more fill my senses and add up to take me back to my youth. For a time the aches and pains of my age, injuries, afflictions and the hard miles on my body are gone. The stress and worries of being an adult are forgotten. I thank God everyday for my trains. Even if I don't have time to play with them, just seeing them as I am walking by them makes me feel better. I have thanked my Mom many times for sacrificing to buy me that first Tyco train set and I will thank her many more times. I never did properly thank my sister for all of her help, but my faith tells me she is with me always. I am sure she knows now how much I appreciate her.

Thank you very much New Guy, you obviously understand where the impetus for my train hobby comes from. I am glad to hear we have that in common. In one way or another almost all model railroaders have something in common. It's always especially cool to meet another model railroader who sees his/her trains as I do, thanks again for your kind words and sharing your story.

To borrow from your analogy (I like very much by the way!) When I fire up my trains, for me it's an artillery barrage general Zhukov would have been proud of!

The hum of electric motors of my older locomotives. Engine sounds, crew talk and smoke from modern locomotives. The clackety clack of metal wheels crossing joints in the track. The designs, colors and actions of animated and static accessories. All these things and more fill my senses and add up to take me back to my youth. For a time the aches and pains of my age, injuries, afflictions and the hard miles on my body are gone. The stress and worries of being an adult are forgotten. I thank God everyday for my trains. Even if I don't have time to play with them, just seeing them as I am walking by them makes me feel better. I have thanked my Mom many times for sacrificing to buy me that first Tyco train set and I will thank her many more times. I never did properly thank my sister for all of her help, but my faith tells me she is with me always. I am sure she knows now how much I appreciate her.

You paint word pictures very well. Thought about a book? (really) I feel the same way about the hobby, second childhood action mode and safer than a sports car. For a mid-life crisis spending spree, model trains is my choice! I'm groovin and my layout is not even built yet! Just acquiring the materials has been a gas, putting it all together will take 'the rest of my life'! LOL Framing the wall for the shelf today! And camping out on the porch for my packages!

I am assuming the Boulder Club's contest is a scale 900' square mini-scene?
Oh yes. Tiny. I did a post WWII station scene with soldiers arriving home, a family going on vacation, and in each compartment of the passenger cars I had yet other stories - a man reading the local news paper concerning the Jews returning to the mid-east (I found a real news paper, shrunk it down printed it, and glued it into his hands), a girl leaving for college, and umm, umm, one other thing I can't remember at the moment. So I crammed 5 stories into that space. I just re-noticed the period correct head rest covers I put on the seats. I forgot the effort I put into that thing.

Posted this in WPF back then.
View attachment 45041View attachment 45042

I wonder how many other people that statement covers?!

Going from the FINE folks I've met on here, many, many people seem to have a deep sentiment attached to the hobby in general and layouts in particular. It's a very generational/personal thing but can also be a social thing, re-enforcing family interactions and establishing life-long friendships in clubs and now on forums like this makes it stand out, in my opinion, as a worthy endeavor.

New Guy thank you very much for your kind words. I have considered writing a book, but my experience is with writing reports and I don't know how I would fill a book. Maybe when my grandsons get older and don't want to spend as much time with me I will try my hand at a book. For right now my boys fill my days and I am loving it! Thank you again, that is very nice of you to say.

Iron Horsemen Am I reading that right? Did you call me "Tiny"?

Nostalgia is probably a big part of most model railroaders enjoyment of this the worlds greatest hobby.

I also believe this is the world greatest forum with the greatest members! I am the rare O gauge modeler on this forum. I use the word "modeler loosely. I have tried other forums tailored to O gauge, but they fall far short of this one. The members here are considerate and helpful. I have never found a place with more knowledge of real railroads and trains. In my opinion the experts on this forum are by far the most knowledgeable you will find anywhere and it free!!!

Wow looked at most of this topic. Going back to page 1, nice collection of rolling stock! I especially love the State of CT and Massachusetts you added to your lineup! Yup fits me well! lol Also bless you and your sister Louis, it seems she really loved that train guy in her house. My condolences as well. So right about nostalgia too.

I have many more to add to this thread, but I have fallen behind in almost everything related to my trains. With the exception of buying more! :)
1548418044782.png

This is the Lionel 6-82427 Patriot U36B Freight Train LionChief RTR Set w/Sound (all LionChief sets have sound)
1548418242875.png

The add on Lionel 6-82186 Patriot single tank car.

more to come...

Back