My 2nd attempt at a patch

NYC_George

It's better then my 1st attempt. I can see you improve as you go. You make mistakes and try not to make them again. It's very hard to get the masking tape secure against the car's support ribs. Maybe paint the ribs by hand later on but before adding the letter and number decals. Maybe your better off just painting the whole patch by hand then adding the decals. Anyway I see Athrean now has cars with the patch look. That maybe be my next buy?
Back in the early 70's I use to switch cars for 12 hours at the Elmsford, NY A&P warehouse in a building like the one in the model photo. The building had exhaust vents but your head was spinning leaving the place. I hated going there. Good thing it was only once in a while.

George

CR_Patch.jpg

George, are you painting the patch?

Jerome I masked it off then sprayed it with a enamel gloss black spray can I had from another project. I think the next time I'm just going to paint it with a brush. The letters and numbers are white Microscale decals. I should have made the patch larger to accommodate 6 numbers. It's all about the learning curve.

George

George, have you ever thought of using decals for the patch? I used to paint patches on but found it very time consuming in the long run. So I started to buy Micro-Scale large stripes in different colors. Made patching a lot easier and faster. Here are a couple of examples.

20190710_222927.jpg
100_4686.JPG
20191009_161501.jpg

George, have you ever thought of using decals for the patch? I used to paint patches on but found it very time consuming in the long run. So I started to buy Micro-Scale large stripes in different colors. Made patching a lot easier and faster. Here are a couple of examples.

I like it and the letters are a part of the decal or combined in the decal? I also like the windows in the building on the left. What's with that?

George, it's actually two layers of decals. I do the patch one night, then when it's good and dry the next night, I lay the numbers right over it. Never had any problems with that method. The building you see in the background are just flats. They are actual pictures of real buildings set to scale. Got them on eBay, not a bad price either. If you like, I can send a link to the 2 sellers I have bought from.

George what kind of tape are you using. I use the green frog tape. You have to make sure you get the edges down and spray straight at the car. Look at other cars to match the proper size letters and numbers.The Chessie car I taped over the ribs. I put thin masking tape on the ribs (6mm) and trimmed it with a hobby knife. The CNW was a bit more time consuming but that was done after some simpler ones. Kinda worked my way to the more difficult one as I got better.

Attachments

• IMG_3133.jpg
    IMG_3133.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_3139.jpg
    IMG_3139.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3142.jpg
    IMG_3142.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3148.jpg
    IMG_3148.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 145
All the examples look great Cam but I think I'm going to try the Microscale decal stripes. I'll order some today and see how they work out?

I used Testor's masking tape for patches and if securely attached to the model there's no rought edges and I use Micro brushes to do the patches.

Greg

The best masking tape I've found is Tamiya masking tape, usually found in stores that carry plastic model kits. It comes in several widths, but most are fairly narrow, so I'll use it around the paint borders, then put blue low-tack painter's masking tape adjoining it for larger coverage.

Use a blunt toothpick (or burnishing tool if you have one of those) to burnish the tape down around the detail. Spray as perpendicular as you can to the masking.

Another option, a little more time consuming, is liquid mask. Apply as a viscous liquid, it dries to a rubbery surface. Then use a new exacto knife to cut away what you don't need. Paint, then peel away the rest of the mask. I used to use this on occasion for clear canopies on airplane models, for example.

George, I just found another source for patch decals. circuscitydecals on ebay has many colors and sizes available. The sheets come 2 colors to a sheet with multiple sizes on the same sheet. I just ordered a bunch of them. or better yet, a sheet with all of the colors.

s-l1600.png

Last edited:
George, I just found another source for patch decals. circuscitydecals on ebay has many colors and sizes available. The sheets come 2 colors to a sheet with multiple sizes on the same sheet. I just ordered a bunch of them. or better yet, a sheet with all of the colors.

Well Jerome I like all the colors. I'm waiting for my order from Microscale strips. I see James decided to use his free time to work on his layout so that got me going. I the got a idea to try and cut up some decals I'm not going to use for patch material. It just needs to be squared up to fit between the car ribs.

patches_1.jpg
patches_2.jpg

Back