My 1st Williams engine

RedRyder77

I've been a Lionel purist for awhile now and though I'm saving my pocket change for a few select pieces by the end of the Summer, Trainworld's sale was enough to spark my curiosity. Less than $80.00 shipped? I figure if it stinks I can sell it or weather it or something. Anyway, I did not run it yet and I know it has horns and bell that sounded "ok" on their video. I was pretty excited to get this today so the pics are from my phone on my dresser--nothing elaborate but here it is. The Leigh Valley "44 Ton" 627 Switcher.

photo13_zps6f12ec09.jpg

Yes that is Andy Griffith on the TV...along with trains I like wholesome TV ;)

photo5_zps1ac28236.jpg

photo42_zpsaf78e4d5.jpg

photo24_zps3591ff61.jpg

So for about 79 bucks I'm actually very impressed with it's construction, detail (though it's not much) and the feel of it. Pretty heavy, sturdy unit...but this is all just posing for pics. The true test will come when it starts doing some work and earning it's keep!

Just curious, what is the general feeling towards Williams, especially in O gauge.

G'day Red.....Just curious....what era were these locos working..Without a clue can I guess late 40s to 1950s....I'm a huge Bachmann fan and glad to see them going into O scale via Williams...Gotta be good.....Cheers Rod..

Hey Rodney, thanks for the post. Glad to see a good word on Williams!

I copy and pasted this directly from Trainworld where I ordered it. It's looking like it started in 1940..pretty interesting info :

In 1937, new railroad regulations required two men to operate any locomotive weighing more than 90,000 pounds. Starting in 1940, GE built this miniature switcher to supply the railroads with the largest diesel that one man could operate. Over the years, 44-ton locomotives were built by many manufacturers, but GE sold the vast majority. Ours is a great entry-level item for you, your children, or grandchildren.

Hey Rodney, thanks for the post. Glad to see a good word on Williams!

I copy and pasted this directly from Trainworld where I ordered it. It's looking like it started in 1940..pretty interesting info :

In 1937, new railroad regulations required two men to operate any locomotive weighing more than 90,000 pounds. Starting in 1940, GE built this miniature switcher to supply the railroads with the largest diesel that one man could operate. Over the years, 44-ton locomotives were built by many manufacturers, but GE sold the vast majority. Ours is a great entry-level item for you, your children, or grandchildren.

I model HO, but follow family tradition and rn a loop of track under the Christmas Tree each year. Couple of years ago, I picked up a Williams FM Trainmaster, with bell and horn, to replace the MTH F40 that gave up the ghost. I have been very happy with the Williams locomotive, it's very reliable, and looks good.

Joe

Seems like you Williams guys stand by the product that's good to know. I'm going to set up the test track this weekend and maybe make a quick video of the features. As of now I think it looks great on display and again..less than 80 bucks shipped, it might be the least amount of money I spent on a powered unit in a long time!

G'day Red....1940 eh..... I suppose it'd be pretty rad for the time...a bit like some really different streamlined steamers of that era....Just an aside...He's been real busy of late but when he's back on the Forum regularly you'll love crossing corro's with Louis Bruette....He's a real Lionel enthusiast ...amazing stuff he has...and he's the one who genned me up on the link with Bachmann and Williams... Good all round....Look out for Louis when he's forumming again soon...Cheers Rod..

Hey Rod,

Yes actually Louis was one of the 1st people I spoke to on here and we were having some really nice conversation. He's actually helped me greatly and I enjoy chatting with him. I was going to ask where he went and if he's ok?

Jess

Hey Red!

I am alive and well, summer is hectic with 2 grandsons, but fun!

Great purchase! Is that from train world? I have been eyeing the B&O 44 tonner!

Williams by Bachmann makes a great running locomotive from everything I have heard. I don't own one, yet, so I have no first hand experience. I have heard nothing but good things about them, the magazine reviews are good.
They are considered "good runners" on the OGR forum for what that is worth.

I have one old Williams, I don't know if it's before or after Kader/Bachmann bought them out. It's an O gauge B&O Chessie boxcar. To use Lionel terminology it is a standard O (bigger then traditional O) boxcar with fast angle type wheels. I think its great.

Hey Joe!

Those trainmasters look great too!

Back