multiple engines

Airslide

The Flange Squeal
question: i am setting up a display for a friend of mine. very simple DC controlled large HO scale EZ track oval in a warehouse with about 30-40 (maybe more) cars. if i run multiple engines to pull this load, is there any chance of an overload to the power pack?

question: i am setting up a display for a friend of mine. very simple DC controlled large HO scale EZ track oval in a warehouse with about 30-40 (maybe more) cars. if i run multiple engines to pull this load, is there any chance of an overload to the power pack?

Only if it's a really, really, really, REALLY crappy power pack.

Most power packs will easily run several locomotives; they don't really draw that much current.
A good pack like an MRC Tech series should be able to run 10-20 engines (just not independently obviously).

an example: my very lame-power MRC handheld will power 3-4 of the old Athearn blue box with orignal megawatt-sucking motors without blowing the fuse. Almost any newer engine will suck less juice and almost any newer power pack with provide more.

30 -40 cars should call for 2-3 engines on decent level track. If they are the same brand, this should work fine. (if they are different brands, the different gearing and RPMs will vary enough to give you fits, so just don't mix the brands of engines)

here is the powerpack i am using:
500-260.jpg

or this one:
ATH9997.jpg

the engines are 2X (one NS one CR):
bachmann.jpg

and:
images

the F unit is not really true to era, but this isnt really a model rr show so i dont think anyone will notice.

based on your responses, ill go with the MRC power.

thanks

Just so you know, the Bachmann locomotives have DCC decoders, and may run at a different speed than the non-DCC engines.
I'd try a slightly better brand known for longevity and smooth running, like non-DCC equipped Atlas, Athearn RTR, even Proto series Life Like/Walthers.

Start out by separating them by about a foot and run them. They should run at close to the same speed. If one is a bit faster, it might not be a good candidate for a consist. If they are close, put the faster one at the front.

Back