MTH to do HO K-4

You know, reading his ad copy, if I didn't know this was an established company, I'd say it was a scam. "Legendary Innovator" ... "astound you with its features".... sheesh.

Synchronized puffing smoke & chuffing sounds – timed to driver revolutions at a rate of 4 chuffs/puffs per wheel revolution!

That will actually be quite a good step. Right now BLI engines sometimes lose sync, especially if they are pulling a good sized load. They also have issues with sound sync at low speeds. If MTH can figure out how to properly sync the sounds with the various speeds, *and* make them sync with the rod movements, it'll be a killer model.

Hi mushroom2, for a HO model loco that's incredible. Something like that would be way out of my price range. I hope some of the clubs around here get at least one so I can at least watch one in action. When are they expected on the market?

Cheers Willis

I'm of two opinions on this model...

First of all, it looks way cool and I'd really like one. If they get all the features they're talking about to work as well as they claim, it will be a real groundbreaker!

On the other hand, even as a life-long Pennsy fan, and it's still my all-time favorite RR, I have to wonder "why yet another K4?" Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't there already several manufacturers with one on the market? Don't get me wrong, I understand... It's one of the great locomotives. Very recognizable, and caters to a huge audience. But you wonder how long before that market will be saturated?

modelbob said:
On the other hand, even as a life-long Pennsy fan, and it's still my all-time favorite RR, I have to wonder "why yet another K4?" Maybe I'm mistaken, but aren't there already several manufacturers with one on the market? Don't get me wrong, I understand... It's one of the great locomotives. Very recognizable, and caters to a huge audience. But you wonder how long before that market will be saturated?
Everyone is still releasing F-units on the diesel side of the house...:)

JeffShultz said:
You know, reading his ad copy, if I didn't know this was an established company, I'd say it was a scam. "Legendary Innovator" ... "astound you with its features".... sheesh.
Well Mike is a little full of himself. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Korea Brass is trying to re-organize to get out from under his 2 million dollar lawsuit, he tried to freeze their assets but the Korean courts denied his petition. I still wouldn't buy a Broadway Limited engine unless it was right in front of me. (Korean Brass also does die cast) And Lionel just fired most of their staff and are trying to re-organize and get out of the 40 million they owe Mike. If that happens, MTH may be hurting and this HO stuff may get put on hold. Ain't modeling fun?

Definitiv BLI and Lionel are the competitors or better say targets... So also LL will release a lot of sound-equiped locos in future. Seems like sound is the future and since QUANTUM did not want to sell it's sound-decoder separately I need to purchase some of my locos once more. A clever move! (...since I couldn't resist, I'm a sound-freak).

Hartmut

JeffShultz said:
Everyone is still releasing F-units on the diesel side of the house...:)
Well yes, but that is also a very generic locomotive. Diesels weren't nearly as customized as steam, except for small details like headlights and the like, and just about everyone had F Units. You can make an F unit, paint it for just about any major railroad, and maybe change a few small details, and you've got an accurate model.

On the other hand, no matter what you do to a K4, you're never going to be able to paint it SP or ATSF or B&O and have it be anything other than a PRR locomotive.

Boy, how things have evolved on the H0 steam locomotive market, compared to ten or fifteeen years ago, when all you got was some cranky Rivarossis and even crankier brass stuff. I remember Orientals "Powerhouse" series in the eighties, which were good for their money, but maybe just a little ahead of their time. Now look what a big selection we've got. And the stuff is coming out so fast you can't even afford it...
I still can't understand someone wants to jump the bandwagon with a Pennsy K4, when out there are so many prototypes that have not been available yet. Well, customer acceptance will take care of that question.

My question is, how does this affect the brass market? With all the BLI/MTH/Lionel/Whatever high quality, sound and DCC equipped locomotives coming, this has got to be hurting the market for brass models of the more conventional equipment like K4's turbines, etc.... I know one of the makers -- Sunset I think -- is getting into the market by offering a 4-8-4 with sound and DCC for under $700 now. I wonder if others will have to follow suit, or if brass may have to resort only to models of really rare stuff to stay afloat...?

MTH press release

M.T.H. Announces First HO Locomotive

091704.jpg

September 22, 2004 - HO model railroading is about to enter a revolution of sight and sound that surpasses everything you thought HO locomotives could do. From quality all-die cast construction, to intricate details to never-before-seen operating features to unsurpassed sound variety and quality, your next HO locomotive operating experience may convince you that M.T.H. locomotives are the most exciting thing to ever happen to model railroading.

The revolution starts with the Pennsylvania K-4s steam locomotive, the first of many engines to come from legendary innovator M.T.H. Electric Trains. Fully outfitted with the power and performance of Proto-Sound 3.0 - the most advanced onboard digital sound and train control system ever produced for HO locomotives - the M.T.H. K-4s will astound you with its features. This is the first HO locomotive to come fully equipped with synchronized puffing smoke, Proto-Speed control for incredible 1 scale miles per hour performance and the industry's most realistic digital sound system. Capable of operating with any DC power supply, DCC controller or M.T.H.'s own DCS command system, your M.T.H. HO K-4s will make locomotives without Proto-Sound 3.0 pale in comparison!

Experience the revolution for yourself and learn how these incredible features are going to change the way you run trains' Synchronized puffing smoke & chuffing sounds - timed to driver revolutions at a rate of 4 chuffs/puffs per wheel revolution!

Locomotive speed control in 1 scale miles per hour speed settings
Wireless tether between locomotive and tender

DCC command control operation with any DCC controller

Unique digital sound features including, whistle, bell, chuffing, squeaking brakes, authentic Doppler, passenger station announcements, air let-off, air pump, blow down, pop-off, injector and dozens more

All die-cast metal construction, (2) Kadee® couplers, powerful 5-pole precision motor w/flywheel, prototypical Rule 17 lighting, interchangeable RP25 wheel set w/traction tires for added pulling strength

CLICK HERE for a complete list of features and models.

Got the info from my favorite dealer who has excellent contacts in the US that MHT has now won a law suit against BLI since BLI contains SW fragments from MHT. Have a look on BLI's WEB page.
The locos can be ordered since today officially here in Germany from one of the 2 biggest German importers. Price is about 400,- Euro .

Hartmut

All BLI's webpage says is that the lawsuit is pending, not that a decision has been made. I'm sure that when it happens, it will make the hobby press.

The lawsuit that was decided was against Lionel and Korea Brass.
MTH was awarded 2 million from Korea Brass who has three executives in jail for their part and are trying to re-organize. Korea Brass also does stuff for Broadway Limited, Atlas and other manufacturers. That's why unless the loco is in front of you, I wouldn't put any money down.

MTH was awarded 40 million from Lionel who has since fired the CEO, Marketing Director, senior R&D and a whole bunch of other people. The former head of Marvel Comics is now the CEO. Since Lionel doesn't own anything that even approaches 40 million, the dancing has begun to try and go bankrupt and dodge the award. All of which doesn't even count the lawsuit that UP has against Lionel.

If the re-organizations do happen and they dodge the awards, this would put a world of hurt on MTH since the legal bills have to be nuts. So there might be delays in the release of the HO stuff because of cash flow, but who knows.

MTH also has pending suits for various patent infrigments on cruise control, smoke synchronization and throttle control.

As a friend of mine put it "SH** + fan = model railroad industy".

Back