Mth rtr sets

Xyamom

Hello I'm new to model railroad and looking to start my first large layout. My question is are the mth sets like 30-4224-1 and 304233-1 will they run dcc? An are the locomotives pretty much the same as the ones the sell separate ( in pulling power) I'm looking to have longer trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at this set http://mthtrains.com/30-4224-1

I'd say with twin flywheel equipped motors pulling power should be no problem.

As for DCS I'd contact MTH to be sure. This set does come with it's own remote system, but I know nothing about how it works.

Command control in O gauge is filled with incompatibility, but I know very little about MTH. I am a Lionel guy. I do have a few pieces of MTH roiling stock and it is nice stuff.

Welcome to the hobby and the forums, glad to have you onboard.

Let me know what you learn about MTH's DCS system, I am interested to know but short on time these days. it's on my to do list but so are many other things.

Have fun with your trains! I know I surly do!

After a little further reading I found this sentance in the last paragraph of the Overview section of MTH's product page. (http://mthtrains.com/30-4224-1) "With the DCS Remote Commander handheld controller included in each set, you can activate all of these features anywhere on your layout."

Looking at the link that Louis provided, it says it has Proto Sound 3 installed. This is MTH's proprietry digital control system, known as D.C.S. It is incompatible with any other control system i.e. you must use their Power supply and control cab to operate your train/s, and only their brand of locomotives will run on it. Basically you will be "locked in" to that brand's choices of engines. I'm not an "O" gauge guy but if Louis says their can be problems re compatibility in that gauge, then care will be needed when selecting anything from a maker that requires the use of track power.

MTH tried to break into the HO market with his DCS system, but fell foul of the entrenched DCC (Digital Command Control), which is the most prevalent in that scale (N scale as well). Allied to his refusal to make the decoders available to other brands of locos for factory fitting as well as aftermarket fitting by users, he has now been forced to provide DCC capability in his products, but O maybe not.

Yea I'm waiting to her back from mth. I have been messing around with a digitrax zephyr and drop in motor controllers. Just wondering if the mth will run on on digitrax ... they (mth) also has there premium dcs app comeing out soon.

Back