Mth loco's, dcs?

Is the mth csx 80-2001-1 sd 70 ace proto sound 3 dcc / dcs a good loco compared to dc / dcc proto 2000 say? Also will any dcc controller run it and get all of the sounds. Does mth's dcs just run the sounds or the loco too and do you need a power supply also. I really dont no much about dcc or dcs but i have 3 independent tracks and would like to put dcc on one of them as i have a proto 2000 with dc/dcc sound already and if i bought this loco i could run both on one track. Any info would be great to help me decide what to do.

Thanks ken

Plenty of people here would be more than happy to tell you about DCC, myself included. All I know about DCS is that it was a proprietary rival to DCC that never took off, kind of like Betamax vs VHS or HD-DVD vs Bluray. Compatibility-wise I can't comment in too much detail.

yes my son extoled the virtues of MTH & HE BOUGHT THE 2-8-4 BERKSHIRE also the SD 70ACE well a year later & the berk is messsing up & he needs to reprogram it, he is DissolutionED . he gave , yes gave me his SD-70ACE & is done with MTH in HO thats why hes selling off his collection & moving to O SCALE

ok

thanks, so its a no go on the mth, how about 837 EMD SW1500, CSX #1125, with Paragon2 Sound/DC/DCC, HO what are the best brand for dcc and sound?

I have a few MTH loco's and they're fine. They are like Tsunami's in that they don't like shorts, so do everything you can to avoid them.
As far as DCS, you don't have to run the MTH loco's on DCS. They run fine on DCC. Avoid runnign DCS on HO because only MTH loco's will run on it.

Ok, I am not an expert in this area but I will try to help with the info I have. If you run an MTH loco on DCS you get all of the sound options including radio chatter. The MTH loco will run on DCC but you lose some of the sound options. It is my understanding that MTH loco's with DCS will not allow for advanced consisting as well. I stay away from MTH due to it's DCS proprietary nature (I would not buy a Betamax). If I am gonna spend that kind of money for a loco I would expect all the features to work. Hope this helps you.
-Art

I have some of the MTH SD models and am considering putting Tsunami sound boards in them. They just don't blend well with the Digitrax consists. A failed experiment that leaves the consumer holding the bag.
I'm beginning to believe what I hear about Mike of MTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some of the MTH SD models and am considering putting Tsunami sound boards in them. They just don't blend well with the Digitrax consists. A failed experiment that leaves the consumer holding the bag.

After spending upwards of $250 for an MTH engine then having to swap out it's DCS decoder for a $110 Tsunami....that stinks!
-Art

In a nut shell, DCS can work with DCC, but DCC can't work with DCS. So, that means if you want all capabilities from the DCS decoders, you must purchase the DCS system from MTH.

Recently MTH has seen the light and is beginning to offer their models without decoders. They were taking a hosing by sticking with their DCS and banking on HO modellers coming to their doors in droves.

If you have DCC now, and would like an MTH motor to use on your layout, it will work....repeat, IT WILL WORK. Your DCC system won't be able to make all the DCS decoder's capabilities come out. It will run, you'll get light control and horn and bell, but you won't be able to programme the decoder if something goes wrong. Someone just now said things go wrong with shorts. Well.......who among us can claim to never have had a short?

A fellow club member has an MTH SD 70, and while it's a very nice locomotive, he can't MU it with any other locomotive. He can't alter how it runs, and after several months of fruitlessly trying to prlgram other units to play with it, we've given up. He either runs it by itslef or he leaves it at home.

I guess if you really "gotta have" an MTH loco you can buy their proprietary DCS system or live with it's DCC limitations or buy it DCC ready and stick a decoder under the hood. They are quite expensive even in DCC ready trim.
-Art

Back