MTH HO SD70m-2 CV and motor issues PLEASE HELPPP

guilford681

Looks like I do not have good luck with these MTH SD70s. I just got an FEC SD70M-2 in today. It is brand new from ebay. I placed it on the track tonight and started it up using its default address of 3. It started up fine and ran good at low speed back and fourth. Next I went to program the unit to its cab number. MTH has instuctions stating that using CV29 enter value of 38 and the cab number will be automatically assigned. So I did so just like I have on my other SD70ACes and M-2s from MTH but for some odd reason the unit did not respond to its newly assigned cab number of 105 yet it honked the horn when I programmed the CV..(The horn lets you know it programmed something). So it was still idiling with sound and I kept trying to get it to respond to address 105...Nothing worked. I tried address 3 thinking it did not program or something. No reponse. I tried other FEC M-2 cab numbers(ya never know right?) lol but sadly nothing worked. I shut down the track and now I am typing this hoping someone could tell me what to do. I tried the whole CV55 thing to reset the engine but without knowing the cab number I cannot do so...
Thanks
Tim

How about trying "0105?" Ive heard MTH is pretty good about repsonding to emails and phone calls. Give them a call. Good luck, youll get it figured out.

Program a value of 55 into CV 55 to reset it, do it on OPS mode with no address inputted into the throttle, make sure there are no other engines on the track. The system will broadcast the programming and reprogram anything on the tracks.

Here's one thing not to many non computer geeks know. This is true for Digitrax, NCE decoders, and quite a few others as well. Any number below 127 is a TWO DIGIT Number. So there's no need to try to change CV29 to something else. Try just programming 105 and see if it takes it. I know that as you and I look at it that 105 is a 3 digit number, however in binary, the language that all computers speak, which thats what a decoder is, 105 is seen after translation into binary by the decoder as a two digit number.

Confused even more???

I have the NCE pro cab and have it wired up right now in a 10 amp system. I used program on the main because it does not support program track. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

diburning: how do I enter OPs mode with an NCE throttle? I am going to go try and figure it out myself but I may not so I am asking now lol.

Cjcrescent: yes you just confused the hell out of me LOL! I understand computers read 1s and 0s for the "binary" coding. The only reason I programmed CV29 to 38 is because MTH units are a biotch to program adresses to but MTH says if you program CV29 to 38 then it automatically sets the cab address to the decoder address. Basically it saves time with their crappy DCS decoders. I cannot wait till they get the update for the DCS decoders.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it!
Tim

Press PROG until it says PROGRAM ON MAIN on the bottom line of the display on your throttle, press enter to enter that programming mode.

Press PROG until it says PROGRAM ON MAIN on the bottom line of the display on your throttle, press enter to enter that programming mode.

Okay I figured that part out. Just did not realize it was also called OPS. The thing is with NCE it makes you pick an address to program. So what do I pick for an address when I have no address I know of for the loco? I also tried something about using the short address 0 to broadcast to all engines or one engine on the track. So I use OPS and entered 0? Damn why don't they just make a decoder reset button!!! LOLLLLLL

Tim

Yes, try using 0 for broadcast.

Nevermind I have figured it out. Well I figured out how to reset the MTH loco. First you have to select loco 55(make sure nothing is on the track) then go to cv55 and give it a value of 55. LOL I wish the handbook would have mentioned that when you have to change cv55 to 55 you have to select LOCO 55 FIRST! Thank you everyone for your help!!! Now does anyone know if MTH is still repairing their factory defective NS SD70M-2s...Both of mine have the motor issue.......

Thanks everybody,
Tim

Huh, sounds like it's time to buy the DCC ready version and install a Tsunami.

I hope you can get it sorted out.

A fellow club member bought two, installed decoders in them, and the layout detected them as shorts. The club electrician had to rewire them from the ground up because MTH uses negative wires as commons and I guess that didn't agree with the decoder.

I have rewired mine. Wasnt that hard, the only hard thing will be to try to find a spot for the decoder. I recommend you remove the light board tray, its the only place where you can fit the decoder

The club electrician isolated the front headlight board from the ditch lights to flip the polarity on them, then hard wired in the decoders. The rear headlight can be flipped without problems. The polarity has to be flipped on them or else they would not light up with a decoder that operates with a positive common wire (DCC standard)

Weird, who the heck was the idiot to make a DCC ready unit that is not even DCC ready, just DCC socket installed?

Back