MTH Heritage units

I picked up my 2-Rail WP heritage unit yesterday. As usual MTH did an excellent job on the paint. The body looks pretty darn good as well as the trucks. The pilot is body mounted, not truck mounted like their 3-Rail Premier units. The body does sit a bit high on the trucks but filing about 1mm off the nubs which the frame sits on the trucks will lower it to more a acceptable height. Also it will put the coupler pockets at the right height for mounting Kadee couplers and not need a shim.

MTH offers all of them but they won't be all released till the end of the year. IIRC this is the second one shipped and I don't know which one will be next.

Greg

Today I got to test run and start breaking in this beast. It was interesting running it on regular DC. The sounds of the SD70ACe starting up were right on. It also had a good 710 primemover sound and the turbo was good. MTH did a good job with the recording for it.

I picked up my 2-Rail WP heritage unit yesterday. As usual MTH did an excellent job on the paint. The body looks pretty darn good as well as the trucks. The pilot is body mounted, not truck mounted like their 3-Rail Premier units. The body does sit a bit high on the trucks but filing about 1mm off the nubs which the frame sits on the trucks will lower it to more a acceptable height. Also it will put the coupler pockets at the right height for mounting Kadee couplers and not need a shim.

Gorgeous! If I may ask two questions: (1) what radius curve are you running this locomotive on? (2) from whom did you purchase this locomotive (I can't find it anywhere)? Thank you!

IIRC inside radius on the mainline it was on was 56". On the box it says O42 but that probably is for the 3-Rail version with the swinging pilot. I have some 36" radius curves I'm going to try it out on this week. Reno Rails ordered it for me back in December 06. Have you tried
http://mth-railking.com
and used their search function? Also give Norm's a shout at
info@normsoscale.com
MTH had such a good response for these engines in 3-Rail they are doing a second run. So contact an MTH dealer and see if you can order a 2-Rail still.

Hope that helps.
Greg Elems

IIRC inside radius on the mainline it was on was 56". On the box it says O42 but that probably is for the 3-Rail version with the swinging pilot. I have some 36" radius curves I'm going to try it out on this week. Reno Rails ordered it for me back in December 06. Have you tried
http://mth-railking.com
and used their search function? Also give Norm's a shout at
info@normsoscale.com
MTH had such a good response for these engines in 3-Rail they are doing a second run. So contact an MTH dealer and see if you can order a 2-Rail still.

Hope that helps.
Greg Elems

Greg, Thanks very much for your kind response. I would be very interested in the results of your 36" radius trial. I'm trying to negotiate space for as large radius curves as possible for my O Scale layout. Also, I will be utilizing the resources you referred me to for trying to locate one of these diesels, or preordering from the next run. P.S. Your photos are excellent!

riverotter1948, thank you for the complement on my photos. Well I did get time to set up a test track with my 36" radius curves. I also set up a reverse curve with a 10" straight section between the two. I coupled up 50' cars and an Atlas O Extended Vision caboose. The engine did great and never derailed the cars being pulled or SHOVED around on those curves. :D Even the short straight track between 36" radius reverse curve presented no problems. MTH did a great job engineering this engine. Good luck on finding one. MTH new 2 rail scale engines are IMHO a real step up from their earlier efforts.

Greg

Back