Msrp

jacon12 said:
And you know they're set up for shipping in the most convenient, businesslike way. If I were shipping it I'd have to find a suitable box, tape and everything required, make a special trip to the Post Office, etc. But, not them.
Jarrell

Jarrel,You can arrange to ship from your home..This is how many home business ship.

Brakie said:
Jarrel,You can arrange to ship from your home..This is how many home business ship.
Sure is ;)

You can get free supplies from USPS and/or UPS if you need them.

Ouch, that really sucks. Fortunately for me I don't have to worry about those problems anymore. I am there (at my LHS) so much, that I have his satisfied customers discount. 25% off whatever I buy.

Yeah, I'd prefer to give the Gov't some sales tax any day over paying shipping on an item... At least you know the money's gonna be put to good use.
Grandeman, I wish I new for certain that the tax money would do some good, but in washington state we are taxed up the wazoo, so I would rather pay the shipping, with the cost of gas and my spare time at a premium I would rather sit at home and wait for the package than go shopping for maybe a deal. I do however support my LHS on items that are priced near the internet prices.

Just my take, thanks for listening

Tim

Tim Seawel said:
Grandeman, I wish I new for certain that the tax money would do some good, but in washington state we are taxed up the wazoo, so I would rather pay the shipping, with the cost of gas and my spare time at a premium I would rather sit at home and wait for the package than go shopping for maybe a deal. I do however support my LHS on items that are priced near the internet prices.

Just my take, thanks for listening

Tim

Hey Tim. That was my lame attempt at sarcasm. I'm certainly no fan of the current tax "situation".

RR Redneck said:
Ouch, that really sucks. Fortunately for me I don't have to worry about those problems anymore. I am there (at my LHS) so much, that I have his satisfied customers discount. 25% off whatever I buy.
That must be really nice. If my LHS had that, I'd buy there more and less from the internet!

Now there's an interstin read. I think I'm supporting my LHS, even though its not local (100+ miles away!) and works a lot more like a Walthers distributor. Even more strangely whenever I order most packages appear to come from Quebec. Maybe Willis ca expalin this one.

The prices are fair however, especially if you consider that here in Canada we don't have huge model train superstores like www.discounttrainsonline.com and some of the ones mentioned. Even if someone charges a smaller price, shipping will eat it up quick! I have yet to pay more then $7 for shipping (that's likem $6 USD) so am quite happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
Jarrell
I went through the same mess with my LHS. He doesn't stock much in the way of MR, but could order for me. He started out matching Internet prices with an average of 20% off MSRP because he didn't have to do anything, but get on the phone and order.
After about a year or so and me not checking any more, I started seeing an increase in the prices he was giving me. Finally I checked it out closer and he was marking the product 20% above MSRP and then giving me a discount. That was the end of my business. The man lives in a 5000 Sq Ft. home so I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

Now, I order from the internet on a regular basis and I try to wait until the order is close to $85. That way 9% of it, which is the local sales tax savings, will pay for the shipping.

FYI: My last order from Walthers ($70.85) only had $7.08 added on for shipping...or 10% :confused:

Rex, maybe it happens much more than we think. I'm going to do most of my buying from the internet also.
Jarrell

RexHea said:
RADIO Throttle! Wow! You have been a good boy. I wish that I had gone that route, but I just found out that my regular DT400's can be converted for $50.00 each. Think I'll do it the first of the year.

Rex, a couple of friends have them and I've watched them walking around the local modular clubs layout without tethers and I've envied them the freedom of not having to unplug and replug. It looked nice.
Jarrell

RR Redneck said:
Wow, thats a good discount for local buying!
Jarrell

Russian said:
Now there's an interstin read. I think I'm supporting my LHS, even though its not local (100+ miles away!) and works a lot more like a Walthers distributor. Even more strangely whenever I order most packages appear to come from Quebec. Maybe Willis ca expalin this one.

The prices are fair however, especially if you consider that here in Canada we don't have huge model train superstores like www.discounttrainsonline.com and some of the ones mentioned. Even if someone charges a smaller price, shipping will eat it up quick! I have yet to pay more then $7 for shipping (that's likem $6 USD) so am quite happy.

Russian, I think most of us would rather buy locally, it's nice to actually SEE what you're buying. It would be interesting to know how many people here actually get a discount from the local store. The most I get, usually, is 10 percent, unless the item is on some type closeout special sale.
Jarrell

Speaking of Walthers...
There're a couple items I want to buy that were available previously and are currently out of stock. If I backorder it from a dealer, what will that do? I'm guessing just put me on a waiting list.

Also, has anyone been in such circumstances before? If yes, how long did you have to wait when arrival date was unkown. I don't really want to wait 6 month or more here...

Roman, Walthers maintains an order status list for each dealer. If they backorder an item that you ordered through him they will send it when it comes in. How they determine who gets what and when is beyond me. I have waited anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months. I also have had some items dropped for reasons unknown after a long period of time and had to reorder. What you can do is follow the item on Walthers web site. When you see it back in stock, get your dealer busy on the phone.;)

Back