Msrp

jacon12

I was in my LHS today and decided I needed a Walther's Feed Mill that the shop had priced at $30.98. I knew I could get a 10% discount so I bought it. When I got home I looked in Walther's 2006 HO catalog and there was the same kit listed for $24.98, a $6 difference in price. Now, I don't mind helping my LHS keep the doors open but something is wrong here. I'm wondering if Walthers has increased the price of this kit from the time their catalog came out, or if the shop is increasing prices on it's own.
Has anyone else found similar instances?
Jarrell

This one?
09330000003061.gif

It's on sale for $19.98 on the Walthers site.

It's on sale for $19.98 on the Walthers site

LOL Nate you sure know how to rub salt in a wound :D :D so I'll try to make him feel better in knowing he won't have to pay shipping from Walther's ;)

Willis

CBCNSfan said:
so I'll try to make him feel better in knowing he won't have to pay shipping from Walther's ;)

Yeah, I'd prefer to give the Gov't some sales tax any day over paying shipping on an item... At least you know the money's gonna be put to good use. :D

Sorry you got shafted, Jerrell. I think I'd cross that LHS off my "front line" supplier list.

CBCNSfan said:
LOL Nate you sure know how to rub salt in a wound :D :D so I'll try to make him feel better in knowing he won't have to pay shipping from Walther's ;)

Willis
:eek: Sorry :eek:

Yeah, Walthers sure isn't very picky about their shipping charges. If I can ship a 52 pound package for $17, they sure did't need to charge me $12 for a package that weighed less than a pound :mad:

grande man said:
Yeah, I'd prefer to give the Gov't some sales tax any day over paying shipping on an item... At least you know the money's gonna be put to good use. :D
Woho you go, pay my paycheck!!! Wait we're talkign about sales taxes, oh, go teach your children and fix your roads! You working and driving a car are enough to pay my paychecks:p Not to mention myself working, i end up paying my own paycheck, grrr weird...

CBCNSfan said:

Willis

Thanks Willis, I need all the help I can get! :)
Jarrell

grande man said:

Sorry you got shafted, Jerrell. I think I'd cross that LHS off my "front line" supplier list.

The sad thing is, Grande Man.. it's the only hobby shop of any kind within a hundred miles of me.
Jarrell

sushob said:
:eek: Sorry :eek:

Yeah, Walthers sure isn't very picky about their shipping charges. If I can ship a 52 pound package for $17, they sure did't need to charge me $12 for a package that weighed less than a pound :mad:

And you know they're set up for shipping in the most convenient, businesslike way. If I were shipping it I'd have to find a suitable box, tape and everything required, make a special trip to the Post Office, etc. But, not them.
Jarrell

I don't mind buying something locally if it's no higher than msrp with 10% off, but dang!, pay 20% over and then learn it's on sale, you really feel ripped off.
Well, that does it for me. From now on I'll wait til I need two or three structures or other items and order them online and pay the shipping.
Jarrell

jacon12 said:
And you know they're set up for shipping in the most convenient, businesslike way. If I were shipping it I'd have to find a suitable box, tape and everything required, make a special trip to the Post Office, etc. But, not them.
Jarrell
I ship an average of ~25-35 packages a week. I use calculated shipping, so every order is based on the weight of the package. I completely understand the flat rate shipping, as it simplifies the paperwork immensly, and for a company as big as Walthers, it would be impossible to weigh (or even guestimate the weight) of each order. However, with what they alreadly charge, they could easily ship almost all orders Priority Mail without adding the extra $3 fee...

jacon12 said:
I don't mind buying something locally if it's no higher than msrp with 10% off, but dang!, pay 20% over and then learn it's on sale, you really feel ripped off.
Well, that does it for me. From now on I'll wait til I need two or three structures or other items and order them online and pay the shipping.
Jarrell

Jarrell, there are several companies out there that will give you a flat rate off of Walther's prices. You just order the product and they get it and ship it to you.

Lichfield station I think is one of them, but I can't find the page on their site. I think it was called a buying club. I got a line on one when I bought my Walther's Cat.

Mailbag Hobbies
www.mailbaghobbies.com
800-821-6377

Charges $5.75 shipping and gives a flat 20% discount on most things with discount from 10-30% on specific lines. Atlas track is 25-30% off for instance.

I feel pretty dumb because there was a Walthers catalog lying on the counter there and I should've looked in it for the price and asked for the $24.98 price at least. It might not have done any good though because this is one of those chain type hobby shops and the person working there probably couldn't have or didn't have the authority to change a price.
Oh well, it didn't break the bank.
Jarrell

jacon12 said:
I feel pretty dumb because there was a Walthers catalog lying on the counter there and I should've looked in it for the price and asked for the $24.98 price at least. It might not have done any good though because this is one of those chain type hobby shops and the person working there probably couldn't have or didn't have the authority to change a price.
Oh well, it didn't break the bank.
Jarrell

Cheap lesson. There's no reason to feel dumb unless you do it again.

SpaceMouse said:
Cheap lesson. There's no reason to feel dumb unless you do it again.

That's right, it's just a lesson learned.

I've alway been torn between buying locally and mail order. For me though, the bottom line is that I need the mail order discounts to get our RR built. I try to buy small items locally, but the bigger orders go out to save money. The exception to that is Digitrax. Our local (individual) dealer has been GREAT to work with.

Grand Man.. Chip, I probably will buy from the shop again. I have no idea why their price was so different, but the manager has given me good deals on engines before, so I'm still a wee bit ahead of the game (assuming there is such a thing in this hobby). I'll just not take it for granted that the price shown is the msrp.
Anyway, Santa just ordered me a Digitrax... what is it... dt400 (?) radio throttle and the reciever unit for it so I'm gonna quit complaining and go get the oil changed in my old truck.
C U guys later.

Jarrell
I went through the same mess with my LHS. He doesn't stock much in the way of MR, but could order for me. He started out matching Internet prices with an average of 20% off MSRP because he didn't have to do anything, but get on the phone and order.
After about a year or so and me not checking any more, I started seeing an increase in the prices he was giving me. Finally I checked it out closer and he was marking the product 20% above MSRP and then giving me a discount. That was the end of my business. The man lives in a 5000 Sq Ft. home so I don't feel sorry for him one bit.

Now, I order from the internet on a regular basis and I try to wait until the order is close to $85. That way 9% of it, which is the local sales tax savings, will pay for the shipping.

FYI: My last order from Walthers ($70.85) only had $7.08 added on for shipping...or 10% :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
RADIO Throttle! Wow! You have been a good boy. I wish that I had gone that route, but I just found out that my regular DT400's can be converted for $50.00 each. Think I'll do it the first of the year.

Back