MRFX C&D Cars (Warning: Lots of pics)

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
I elected not to post these photos in the WPF thread, because there are a great number of pictures and I don't want to "hijack" the other thread. Please be patient while the pictures load.

I recently completed four C&D (Construction and Demolition Debris) cars for my fictional private leasing firm, MRFX. These cars are complete fantasy. Along with the New York Central C&D cars I completed a little while ago, these ex-woodchip hoppers will be busy hauling debris out of New York City and into Midwestern recycling facilities and landfills. Many of the prototype cars are former woodchip cars, often bearing the lineage of several western railroads. I wanted to replicate that western heritage in my own MRFX cars to add some diversity to my roster - which consists almost entirely of northeast roadnames. Although these cars will likely never see their former home rails again, they've found a new home and a new life in the New York City area, and on my future layout.

The pictures were taken from several different vantage points on my club's layout, and I decided to include lots of pictures for your ultimate enjoyment. :D Comments appreciated.

I first spotted these cars coming out of a warehouse district:

IMG_8426.jpg

IMG_8427.jpg

IMG_8428.jpg

IMG_8429.jpg

Having crossed the tracks, we now see the cars from the other side... headed back to New York City:

IMG_8441.jpg

IMG_8442.jpg

IMG_8443.jpg

IMG_8444.jpg

Let's take a closer look at each car, from both sides:

MRFX 1017:

MRFX1017_01.jpg

MRFX1017_02.jpg

MRFX 1022:

MRFX1022_01.jpg

MRFX1022_02.jpg

MRFX 1029:

MRFX1029_01.jpg

MRFX1029_02.jpg

MRFX 1056:

MRFX1056_01.jpg

MRFX1056_02.jpg

And finally, here they are coupled up to the NYCS cars I recently finished. Now you can see the "recently refurbished" look I was going for when I built the NYCS cars.

lineup1.jpg

Well, that's it. Hope you liked...

signature2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrpls, those cars are very nicely done, and very believable story with the heritage of them also.

Wow! Very good work indeed! Did you graffiti them yourself (by hand) or are they decals? At any rate, good job! They look great!...And the story adds a nice believable touch too!;)
-Rich

I like the cars except two things.

-Molded on grab irons. Ughhh
-Obama? Yowza......

Very nice. Very believable level of rust and weathering. I have seen cars that look like that when I lived in CA.
I would like to know how you did your rust and weathering?

Thanks guys for all the compliments. If I had to do the cars over, I would have sanded the thickness of some of the rust spots down before finishing the cars. The gouache I used to create the rust spots came on too thick and goopy in many places, which is particularly noticeable in some of the pictures. That being said, they don't look goopy in real life, mainly because there is little light reflecting off the rust spots. The cars look much better in person... the long exposure I take with my camera has a way of exposing tiny little mistakes in the weathering, as a longer period of light reflectance is captured eminating off the car.

The graffiti was taken straight from prototype photos of woodchip cars. I imported the photos into Adobe Photoshop, cut the graffiti out, and distorted the angle and size of the graffiti to fit the HO scale models to the exact millimeter. I put a bunch of graffiti on an 8x11 file, and printed the file on Microscale's white decal paper. After carefully cutting out the graffiti with scissors and applying to the car, I noticed some "hard edges". These edges were softened by using gel pens to "blend in" the edges of the graffiti to the carbody. Several coats of Solvaset were used to get the thick decal paper to settle into the nooks and cranies of the lower carbody sill.

Thanks again for all the comments. Much appreciated.

I like the story line and the reuse of the battered wood chip hoppers. Seems like a very believable story. The grafitti really makes the overall look.

BTW, I thought it was BAMA in '08, as in the Crimson Tide. :) If you think politics causes some heated discussions, you should be down here the week before Alabama plays Auburn in the Iron Bowl. I keep my mouth shut unless I know who I'm talking to. :eek:

BTW, I thought it was BAMA in '08, as in the Crimson Tide. :) If you think politics causes some heated discussions, you should be down here the week before Alabama plays Auburn in the Iron Bowl. I keep my mouth shut unless I know who I'm talking to. :eek:
Lol, reminds me of all those Wolverines/Buckeyes debates (UofM & OSU).

Back