MRC Decoders - Good or Bad?

I've had several people warn me about the MRC decoders .
Listen to them.

I too have had some MRC decoders that have lasted for years and maybe even a decade, but I have had many more that didn't last more than a single night of operation. I have one that came in a Genesis 4-6-6-4. The locomotive moved perfectly for about 10 feet before it died. I took it back to the hobby store and they figuratively went screaming from the room. Despite over 20 hours of work, and attempts to program/reset from NCE, Digitrax, and Lenz it still has not turned a wheel.

Another decoder that appeared to be working perfectly, I just happen to put a meter on it for something else I was working on. With the throttle set to zero, the decoder was still leaking over a half volt of power through the motor. Groan, I immediately stopped my other project and replaced the decoder.

One would hope that the newer units are getting better, but I am not willing to chance them. The better brands aren't that much more expensive in the big scheme of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people report that their MRC decoders have performed well and that they were relatively easy to manage. On the other hand, there are many irate users who post over on Model Railroader's forums that the things left them permanently bald at age 26.

Their hairs didn't fall out on their own.

-Crandell

TBH the simpleast solution in my book is just toss the chip and not worry about it or better don't get it, not worth any headachs...

I personially will use either Tsunami (if its equipped on my engine at purchase), Digitrax or Lok sound (either of thiese are my "drop in" go to types for when I want a soud decoder that I can just drop in and start using...granted sound may not be as high as QSI or Tsunami for the Digitrax or possibly Lok sound but they are good for what I want to do...I like to use the Digitrax so I can reprogram/reload sounds I want since I already have the programmer and with JMRI its even better IMO...

Also, MRC decoders are not compatible with JMRI. In case you don't know, JMRI is a free program that makes working with sound decoders a breeze. Once again, MRC dances to a different drummer. I'm 4 for 4 on MRC decoders crapping out. No more for me. The best part of MRC decoders is their flashy advertising. How many OEM's use MRC? None. That should tell you something.

MRC Sound

I agree with the others that QSI sound is vastly better than MRC sound decoders. I have one Athearn loco with a MRC sound decoder that operated on the inital run and then stopped producing sound. An email reply from Athearn suggested that I reprogram the decoder with a more powerful DCC system.

The loco is still in the box after three years. Don't ask why I didn't return it to the hobby shop or Athearn.

My other locos with MRC decoders have much weaker and poor sound quality as well.

My 2 cents worth.

Greg

I said this back in August, and I'll say it again:

I bought the early sound decoders for a couple of my sd70's, and have had no problems programming or reading back the cv's. I also have the Prodigy Advance2 with updated software so maybe that makes the difference. I can consist them with my tower55 units with digitrax sound in them and all functions work well.
I personally think that once you get 2 sound decoders together, you cant really tell the difference between them, and after 3 or more engines running on the layout, it all becomes overkill unless they are spaced far apart. But thats just my opinion.:rolleyes:

P.S.: If any of you want to get rid of your mrc decoders, pm me...lol

So JMRI will read MRC decoders?.....and could be used to change some values in MRC decoders?

Before I answer this, let me point out that older MRC decoders could not be read, they simply did not support readback in the decoder firmware. I believe all current MRC decoders support readback, but some sound decoders may not be easily programmed or read on some DCC systems(true of some other sound decoders as well). Any issue with not being able to read or program an MRC decoder is a hardware issue between the command station or programmer and the decoder(and one that can usually be overcome, i. e. using ops mode programming). If the command station or programmer can read and/or program the decoder then so can JMRI.

Back