MOW and other Vehicle Weathering

The dirt is moving downward. The truck was dusty and as the water/overspray got on it as it went down the road the air is pulling it down and to the back.
I think your truck is a little too much on the cab area. The tool box is good.
Ok I’ll buy the water/overspray reasoning.

I agree on too much for the entire cab. I am back home so I will get at fixing it tonight.

thanks

Cleaned up the hood, roof and door panels. I left the truck body and bucket lift as I am not unhappy with it. I have decided, this is staying on my layout.

I will look at it between the halves of whoever is playing on the NFL tonight or the NHL game of the week. Some new panel liner and a little bit of dust and that’s it, I hope!
8AF8BD63-5FBC-4427-AE24-05F753603F6F.jpeg
C8E30D1E-82E6-4A72-BDE9-FD2A4DD3C231.jpeg

It looks like it was hit by a West Texas dust storm, kinda improbable on a CN vehicle though.
Thanks Willie. We get the winds but generally not the dust up here.

I actually am thinking since Sunday I only have a hockey game from noon to around 3 that I might head out afterwards to the Milwaukee area to find some CN vehicles. If Greg@Mnrr was still with us, he would know exactly where to go and most likely have had a hidden favorite spot. I really cannot believe the lack of photos online

That is a huge improvement. Less is more, especially on white.
RCH, thank you and I totally agree and so far that’s what I have done. Nothing more.

While I did not get to the CN territory in the Milwaukee area on Sunday I went looking beyond the CN only photos online. I looked at all the white Class 1 HyRailer pickup truck pictures at railcarphotos.com.

The theme is the same. Not much dirt and little to no rust. Here are some of those pictures with the photo credited on each picture. These are for research only.
EC409C92-6DF1-4FF4-9D01-4208E0AB24F3.jpeg
A108B412-3711-44FA-916C-B0F3A8C55961.jpeg
65E31430-08E3-4FEF-8140-F62C09F7C980.jpeg
E9BC77AA-DF4C-49AF-B7E0-2A4147C2A3B1.jpeg
87BAC1FE-9D0E-4249-A8E7-96F40044979B.jpeg
1C30AE8D-25F0-446A-9ED5-B142E9D3417E.jpeg
CF764067-01C2-4463-8BF6-870B3E23FCAF.jpeg
F443CF03-50D9-469D-BB6B-AE9A77405D92.jpeg
5C7F0A65-5519-43EA-A091-343FE62265FB.jpeg
1F3C87C4-7C52-45AE-BEFC-0AD46375287F.jpeg

I decided to try a little India Ink/alcohol/water on the MOW vehicle in post #3. I mixed some up for a building and thought to try it out on a vehicle. I just brushed it on and used the brush to get rid of puddles. Nothing for weathering except that solution:

IMG_3069.JPG

(the truck in the background was lightly weathered only with a white/tan acrylic wash brushed on)

The trucks may not be museum quality but they work for my layout!

Dave LASM

I decided to try a little India Ink/alcohol/water on the MOW vehicle in post #3. I mixed some up for a building and thought to try it out on a vehicle. I just brushed it on and used the brush to get rid of puddles. Nothing for weathering except that solution:

View attachment 159665

(the truck in the background was lightly weathered only with a white/tan acrylic wash brushed on)

The trucks may not be museum quality but they work for my layout!

Dave LASM
Dave, thanks for sharing.

Looks good. I still use ink as a weathering medium. India ink is strong stuff, a little goes a long way. I couldn’t believe how much I ended up diluting it with water. A drop of dish soap I add, it helped stop the ink spot effect I would get.

Museum quality or not those trucks do the job and fit the scene very well.

While I thought this thread was done, it’s not.

Last night I ordered a few more CN pick up trucks and 3 more of the CN trucks with Cherry pickers as above. I should see them by Friday the 20th.

The CN HiRailers showed up from my dealer!

LeRoy is inspecting one of the Cherry picker units. He just asked if these come dirty from the factory. Had to explain wheels and tires just get dirty from driving to us.
C038BDC8-CA53-405C-8E47-EDD06D227EC2.jpeg
So, instead of sharing a HyRailer, LeRoy, Maynard and Willard will each have one plus the department will have a few spares
552873BE-764A-44CD-A3B8-53ACE0B7745A.jpeg
Got a few of the extended cabs also.

Except for Maynard’s truck that will only have dirty wheels and tires because he always kept his previous truck spotless including the wheels and tires, the other trucks will get some weathering. The booms will all get some hydraulic fluid spills but again, not too much. But, I have other things to do so it may be a couple weeks.

The CN HiRailers showed up from my dealer!

LeRoy is inspecting one of the Cherry picker units. He just asked if these come dirty from the factory. Had to explain wheels and tires just get dirty from driving to us. View attachment 160136 So, instead of sharing a HyRailer, LeRoy, Maynard and Willard will each have one plus the department will have a few spares
View attachment 160137Got a few of the extended cabs also.

Except for Maynard’s truck that will only have dirty wheels and tires because he always kept his previous truck spotless including the wheels and tires, the other trucks will get some weathering. The booms will all get some hydraulic fluid spills but again, not too much. But, I have other things to do so it may be a couple weeks.
Looks like another interesting project you have that I will enjoy watching.

Looks like another interesting project you have that I will enjoy watching.
Yep and I misinformed everyone.

I watch the Section Section Podcast on Tuesday and tonight they have IMO two of the giants in creating realistic scenes on Model Railroad layouts. Tom Johnson and Tom Klimoski will be live. So, I can’t just sit and listen. I will be multi-tasking. A TBOX boxcar, a couple fork lifts and a couple cherry picking MOW vehicles are ready for some panel liner. What the Second Section Podcasts hosts call “Taco Sauce”.

The victims…

19DB97DE-E1F8-427E-86B0-93402DB3DAA1.jpeg
8BCD4573-50E0-4A86-AB2E-D410FA3F2624.jpeg
2D0CE939-153A-4B26-9D32-345F42B7CFE1.jpeg
E473EFFC-F83C-46F7-8177-20CE8EBEB8DA.jpeg

Tom, somewhere I have a dump truck I scratch built into a high rail using N scale wheels. I'll have to see if I can find it.
I did the HiRail wheel threads in aluminum per your suggestion on the last unit. Pictures tomorrow. I have the podcast on live and I am taking a break from weathering as stuff dries for 45 more minutes

I watched the podcast. Rarely taking my eyes off the screen I accomplished almost nothing at the bench and moved into the cave with the fireplace roaring.

I also found the clear gloss varnish wasn’t really hard enough to apply the panel liner.

Before the move to the cave though I touched up with a micro-micro mini brush some of the burnt umber leakage by the door tracks of the TBOX car

Back