MOW and other Vehicle Weathering

Awesome job Tom!

Looks exactly like the BNSF truck my neighbor brings home!
Thanks Mike. It will be on its way tomorrow
IMG_3941.jpeg
IMG_3940.jpeg
IMG_3939.jpeg

Last edited:
On Wednesday, I sent off the Linesman truck. Thursday I unexpectedly got another 6 UP MOW vehicles from the guy who purchased the Lineman truck. Inspected, repaired 4 mirrors and 2 sets of hi-wheels last night. These have now been cleaned and will be masked off this evening. These will be ready to weather when I return from the February travels. These will be lightly weathered

IMG_4050.jpeg

I started on these between other projects. Chassis for intermodal containers.

After inspection and cleaning it was weathering time. Just sprayed a coat of matte clear mixed with a brown fade mix added. All Tamiya, XF86 Matt clear straight mixed with a brown fade mix of xf10 brown thinned 20% paint to 80% X20a thinner. I then threw the brown fade mix into the Matt clear bottle to tone down the shiny chassis! That created a dusty color that is noticeable in person does not in my pictures. You can tell on the brighter orangish and green colored chassis.
IMG_5142.jpeg
Let dry and moved to something else

I then took some Mission Models NATO Black thinned with tap water and dabbed it onto parts of the frame where a black grime would look appropriate in my view!
IMG_4111.jpeg

After that dried I took some Vallejo Air dirt and dabbed and brushed it across the frame and wheel faces
IMG_4118.jpeg
IMG_4117.jpeg
IMG_4116.jpeg
IMG_4115.jpeg
IMG_4114.jpeg
IMG_4113.jpeg
IMG_4112.jpeg
The chassis while never cleaned in real life other then by the rains are neither real grime covered or rusted. But for the models the client wanted to be able to tell they were not brand new but used but not abused!

Another couple quick sessions on these before completion. The tires and wheels will be touched up and any color on the back side of the wheels will be covered. The front face of the wheels will get a bit more brake dust and the tires a more even coat of road grime

IMG_4119.jpeg

Finally clear matte finished these this morning. I realized I had already packaged up 5 of the 10 without pictures. Here are the other
IMG_4121.jpeg
IMG_4120.jpeg
IMG_4123.jpeg

This is the last of the known Intermodal equipment for a few months unless I do some for myself after my travels are complete for February and parts of March

As we move into March I have made a few decisions. At the new year I promised to myself that I would reduce my online time. I have successfully done that but need to do more.

I will no longer be posting to this thread.

The thread, Weathering Rolling Stock, a Continuous thread will continue and may see some MOW and other Vehicle weathering.

I truly mean it when I say you have been a great audience and have pushed me to better my weathering. Thank you for participating

TomO

Back