Moving! Good news and bad news...

twforeman

Certified Great Northern Nut
We just had an offer accepted on a new house.

The good news is that there is lots of basement for a much larger layout.

The bad news is that we have to move. Which means tearing down the current layout.

I'm actually okay with tearing it down. I'll save all the buildings and bridges and try and save the flex track.

This first layout was a good learning experience but I've never been happy with the turnouts I built. I know what's wrong with them so I can avoid the issues when I make the next batch.

Plus I can make a new track plan and setup for continuous running - something I didn't have room for before.

So, I'll probably go quiet for a bit while we move, then I'll probably start posting a new thread where I build out the layout space and start track planning.

I'm really excited about the new house and much larger layout space.

I understand your pain and also the excitement. Well this means you are 45 minutes closer to Madison, Wi. I come up to the Cities in March to watch the WCHA Women’s Hockey Championships and another time when the Badger Women play against Minnesota ladies.
Have fun with the move

TomO

Next layout will prolly correct the things ya didn't like on the one you're tearing down.
How much room do ya have in the new basement?

I haven't measured it yet - we don't close until late July. But it's potentially a very large space. I'm going to try and limit the amount I take for the layout to something reasonable so I have at least a chance of finishing it. (As if a layout is ever finished.)

But it's large enough that I should be able to use 30" minimum radius mainline curves and run big steam.

45 minutes away? Geez you’ll have a layout started by next weekend!
Remember when you purge for the move don’t buy more stuff to replace it... 😆

Yeah, that's not how my purging works... :)

I think you're going to find that packing will take much longer than you anticipate and dismantling the layout will have more problems than you thought.

We have been in this house for quite some time. The thot of packing this fecal matter to another house is scary.

We've been in our house for 31 years. We have a ton of stuff. And the new house is smaller. There will be culling. Lots of culling.

I think you're going to find that packing will take much longer than you anticipate and dismantling the layout will have more problems than you thought.

I expect the packing to take quite a while. Dismantling the layout shouldn't be too hard, I sort of built it with moving in mind, but I don't think I'll keep much of the current layout. Plus it's not large.

We closed on the house successfully - and while we were on vacation in Montana no less.

We need to do some minor work on the main floor (mostly painting) and then we can start moving in.

The basement needs a lot of finishing work, but we will do it in phases - the railroad will probably be close to last.

I started packing up my train stuff last night - I filled a medium moving box with rolling stock and you can't even really tell the difference in the room. :)

We have a lot of stuff. Time to start purging. :)

Congratulations. Good luck with the moving part.
We have a lot of stuff. Time to start purging
I know what you mean. We're not planning on moving, but we have been in this house 40 years and oh my, how stuff piles up!:( Odd though, we moved into this 1500 sq ft house from a 950 sq ft rental and everything didn't fit back then! I had to pile some junky furniture in the yard and set a match to it. We're in a very rural area (still) and there was no such thing as trash pick-up.

Congrats on the closing. When I retired in 2014 we put the house up for sale in June, house sold a couples days after 7/4. Closed the day after Labor Day. Thankfully Terry had started the purging when she retired 6 years before me. Still could not believe what we had left to move.

Enjoy it.
TomO

Back