Moving a Historic Train Depot in Hamilton, Ohio

Ericsauto

Many of you probably don't know that I am the former Vice Mayor and current Council Member of the City of Hamilton, Ohio. During my time on council, we have been working on moving a historic Train depot that had once had Abraham Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Truman stop there. Long story short, CSX wanted to demolish it because with the new Double Stacks and Car Carriers making the turn, they swayed too much and were hitting the roof of the building. The building was the home of the CH&D ( Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton ) railroad that went out of business in 1917. The council wanted to save the building, and thousands were petitioning to keep it. We allotted 2 Million dollars to make a move and do some restoration to it. Hamilton is one of the fastest-growing cities in Ohio and this building needed to be saved. We moved it 650 Feet north of its original location closer to our downtown. Here are some time-lapse videos of both buildings being moved.

( This is why I don't get a lot of time to work on my Model Railroad :))

Building Number 1

Building number 2

You can also see the full-length video on TV Hamilton YouTube Channel.

Hope you enjoy it.

That's a lot more effort than when I want to move the depot on my layout. 🤣

That's quite something to watch. I'm surprised it was wasn't more costly to move it. Impressive. Thanks for helping make that happen!
Actually, the moving cost was only 987K. A deal for what they had to do.

Very cool Eric and definitely a worthwhile project!
Couldn’t help but think how ironic it would have been if while crossing the tracks…

Here is a google map of where it was and why it was moved. Notice the roof of the depot had to be trimmed to let double stacks and car carriers go up that line. That line goes to Indianapolis and Chicago. CSX started running large cars up that line and the sway
89B201B6-E958-4A5A-986F-8DCDE0A1AD28.jpeg
1AFDFEE1-8AF4-4463-8088-6D882E7E75A3.jpeg
ABD8B636-2153-436B-AB47-4DC04F94E38E.jpeg
of the cars was hitting the roof line.

Many of you probably don't know that I am the former Vice Mayor and current Council Member of the City of Hamilton, Ohio. During my time on council, we have been working on moving a historic Train depot that had once had Abraham Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Truman stop there. Long story short, CSX wanted to demolish it because with the new Double Stacks and Car Carriers making the turn, they swayed too much and were hitting the roof of the building. The building was the home of the CH&D ( Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton ) railroad that went out of business in 1917. The council wanted to save the building, and thousands were petitioning to keep it. We allotted 2 Million dollars to make a move and do some restoration to it. Hamilton is one of the fastest-growing cities in Ohio and this building needed to be saved. We moved it 650 Feet north of its original location closer to our downtown. Here are some time-lapse videos of both buildings being moved.

( This is why I don't get a lot of time to work on my Model Railroad :))

Building Number 1

Building number 2

You can also see the full-length video on TV Hamilton YouTube Channel.

Hope you enjoy it.
You missed a great opportunity to tie a rope to the front end, and walk in front like you were pulling it.

Back