Mounting KD 920's on USA Coal Hoppers

gabby

Bob Hayes
I need some help. I want to mount KD920's on some USA coal hoppers. The holes on the chassis of the hopper don't line up with the 920 box and it needs a spacer to bring the coupler in line with the KD Height gauge. Any suggestions.:confused:

Bob, I know nothing about USA Trains or O scale couplers but, according to the USA web site, the correct coupler is the #830. Maybe that's your problem. :confused:

Jim thank you. You are correct but the 830 is G and the one I want to mount (920) is the No1. Both are the same but the No1 has the smaller box. Hence the problem. If I was any good at casting I would try and make some mounts.

Ah, trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. :). That does present a problem. Can you super glue some styrene over the current pad, with the styrene being the right height to shim the coupler? If so, you can then drill some new holes to match the #920 box.

Jim I can certainly look at that idea. In fact I think short of some sort of casting to get the correct dimensions that is what I might have to do.

Back