Motley's new layout build

Motley

OK, well I guess its time to start a thread. I wanted to get a jump on the plan.

I've been working on this using any rail.

Size is 13' x 11'. Around the walls with a peninsula. And a Nolix type into lower level staging area.

I will be utilizing parts of my old layout. Like the river/bridge scene, and turntable, and depot station. My preferences are running trains through scenery, with large industries and passenger services.

Minimum radius will be 32" to 34" HO Scale Peco code 83.

Here's what I've got so far..... Feedback and suggestions please!!

New%252520trackplan.jpg

That outside rail on the bridge river scene, is elevated. So I need to figure out where else to move it. Because if there was one thing I had major problems with trackwork. Is the switches on grades.

Need some suggestions what to do?

LOL, yep everybody is back at it now!

OK I moved the river/bridge scene to the right wall. It might work? Do I have enough length for the drop down to the second level. It around 24 ft, to drop down at 2% grade.

Here:
New%252520trackplan.jpg

Michael,

Looks like a good plan and yep, 24' is plenty of room for a 2% grade, in fact, it will be a little less than 2% if you use the whole 24'.

Michael,

Looks like a good plan and yep, 24' is plenty of room for a 2% grade, in fact, it will be a little less than 2% if you use the whole 24'.

Ya but is enough room for a fiddle yard. Not sure how thats gonna work building trains there.

One thing I was thinking. Just do no lower level staging. And have it visible there, next the ethanol plant. And just create a view block with a backdrop and separate the two?

If you plan on doing op sessions and need trains ready to go then a lower level staging yard would be helpful. On my last layout I really didn't get a chance to use mine other than sending a train down and being disappeared longer.

For that entrance to lower track you of course realize you will need a few feet of lower entrance rail being exposed until it clears the upper level. You will have to get inventive to hide that decline.

For that entrance to lower track you of course realize you will need a few feet of lower entrance rail being exposed until it clears the upper level. You will have to get inventive to hide that decline.

Ya I was wondering about that. It just seems to difficult to create the lower track, and have enough space to build trains.

Now I'm leaning towards a visible staging, no lower tracks. And create a viewblock to separate the ethanol plant.

Like this....

New%252520trackplan.jpg

Michael if you like I can look up my old build thread and you can see how i did it? Its not on this forum but I can post a link for you.Was actually quite easy to do once all the calculations were completed.

Michael if you like I can look up my old build thread and you can see how i did it? Its not on this forum but I can post a link for you.Was actually quite easy to do once all the calculations were completed.

Ok ya that would be great. Thanks Lynn.

Well here's the latest revision. I added the Frac Sand Facility, and the Flood Loader. And smoothed out a few curves.

New%252520trackplan.jpg

Whooops! I had the demensions all wrong. I'm using Anyrail for the first time, and I finally figured out how to enable the size grid demensions. The grid is 12".

I did a lot of changes to get everything I wanted. Think this might just work? Thoughts?

New%252520trackplan.jpg

Thanks Rico it was the kind of layout that taught me what I really wanted and didn't need.
Motley I see the entrance to staging has been removed.

Your aisleways on the right and bottom are about 18" in width which is pretty narrow. I would recommend staying around 24" minimum.
How do you plan on handling trains in staging? The way its laid out they will back in. I would have it facing the other direction and try to squeeze in a reversing loop, or some other method of turning trains.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Back