Mother Nature's the boss

Yep, we have some pretty big rocks here in Colorado. That's about the 3rd or 4th big rock slide in the past couple of months.

WOW!!! and I was thinking last night some of the rocks I used may be too big. I have some I am putting on a mountain in a slide area like seen in the blue ridge mountains.

Both of these incidents are potentially very nasty indeed. Did you notice the CN lines tight to the highway in the one I posted? It is the ex-BC Ry lines. The closest part of it seems to want to send anything using it into the salt chuck...yes, that's an inlet on the Pacific Coast.

-Crandell

Yes I think thats a cool idea. I don't have any roads near my mountain though, or I would try it.

Allan, I don't think Chris really has a picture of any rockslides in Florida, since Florida has no big hills to slide. You've got to remember Chri's sense of humor. :)

Crandall, I remember when that slide was reported. I think a freight was scheduled to go through the area about 20 minutes after the slide and the RCMP was able to get a hold of the dispatcher in time to get it stopped.

.. well .. Florida DOES have SOME hills .. :)

Hills of Florida

This is interesting ..

Britton Hill is the highest 'natural' point in the state of Florida, USA, with a summit elevation of 345 feet (106 meters) above mean sea level. Many Florida skyscrapers are taller; as of 2010, the roof of the Four Seasons Hotel Miami is the highest non-natural point in Florida. Britton Hill is the lowest state highpoint in the United States, 103 feet (31 m) lower than the next lowest highpoint, Ebright Azimuth in Delaware. It is even lower than the highest point in Washington D.C., Tenleytown, at 429 feet (125 m). It is located at 30° 59' 18″N, 86° 16' 55″W in northern Walton County near the town of Lakewood, Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Thistle Utah takes the cake when talking land/rock slides (so far). Compared to this disaster (1983), the rest are just minor inconveniences.

The tiny creek rose to a depth of almost 100yrds flooding the valley that the town of Thistle was located in. This slide completely obliterated the junction at Thistle and the town. Both Highway 6 and the new rails were located higher on the mountain to the left of the picture (kinda hard to see the new rail alignment). The original Denver and Rio Grande Western line ran along the river in the bottom of the valley, then around the base of the mountain and continued to the left (following the water).

slide3.jpg

Back