More custom paint schemes

Littlefoot14

Hey guys,

I used to draw these paint schemes all the time. Last year a computer crash followed by a mechanical failure lead to the loss of every drawing i had ever drew. So, with that being said, here are some new drawings using the SD70ACe as a background. No lettering has been applied, mostly because its a PITA :cool:

First up, a new spin on the NYC Lightning Stripe scheme.

Second, a BN "White Face" SD70ACe

Lastly, a BM ACe in the Maroon and Gold scheme.

Ill gladly take requests and criticism. :D

Just finished up the Burlington Northern GEVO. While the paint scheme itself is really quite simple, it is probably my most completed locomotive to date. Generally i leave grills and lots of truck details unpainted, and while this painting still has some of that, it does have much less than i usually would have. I have to admit that the GEVO drawings are a PITA to color because they have so many lines, but they do look good :p

Hey Littlefoot...lookin pretty good! Nice work there!! I have a request for ya on an SD40-2 and a 8-40CW. I am doing my own fictional line and I am either gonna call it the Southern Prarie Railroad or the Western Plains Railroad. I havnt come up with a paint scheme yet but I am thinking something with either black/tan, red/tan or burgandy/black...can ya come up with somethin creative for me? Something that would look kinda "western" if ya know what I mean...

Here are two Alco C425s that are wearing two different schemes that im considering for my future regional line. The railroad will be mostly dependant on the lumber, mining, and paper industries. Scheme is inspired by the Delaware & Hudson. Id love to hear some thoughts and opinions on it :cool:

I have a request for you...Back up your work!!!!!!:D The work you do is realy nice and it is no fun doing it a second or third time. Once a month, at least record what you have done onto a disc. At least that way you will have most of it recoverable and you won't have to experience that sickening feeling again. I back up everything to a portable hard drive every week and onto discs once/month. One set of discs stays here and the other goes to my Moms house and into her huge safe. That way there are always backups off site of my decal business. Right now there is artwork for over 250 decals and I would hate to have to redo all of that.
Dan

Little Foot, Can you do an SD70MAC in a blue/tan/light blue scheme with "New Jersey Atlantic & Eastern in the tan on the long hood?

Dan- Thanks for the tips on backing up my drawings. To be honest, while all my time was wasted on my previous drawings, im not to mad about losing them because the quality was much less than what im capable of now. Wouldve been nice to still have them now, but no sense cryin over spilt milk :D

Steve- How about an SD70M? Heres a quick sketch. I saw a drawing somewheres with some nose art that you liked, so i went ahead and incorporated that on there as well.

HOLY SCHNIKIES!!!! You hit it on the head perfectly! I'm definitely going to make me some decals soon and finally put use to the Kato SD70MAC i've had just taking up space in my closet.

What color did you use on the frame/trucks/tanks? Silver? Could you do one that has an all black frame/tank/trucks? Trying to see both. Im liking the silver more though.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOWOWOW!!!!! I LOVE that color you threw on the dash 8!!!! That makes it look pretty sweet!! How bout an SD40-2 in that same color? How would I go about painting the front like that tho, decals maybe?

HOLY SCHNIKIES!!!! You hit it on the head perfectly! I'm definitely going to make me some decals soon and finally put use to the Kato SD70MAC i've had just taking up space in my closet.

What color did you use on the frame/trucks/tanks? Silver? Could you do one that has an all black frame/tank/trucks? Trying to see both. Im liking the silver more though.

Steve- Color on the trucks is actually a light grey due to the limitation of MS paint, its supposed to represent a silver, but take it for what its worth. Thanks for the kind words, glad you like what i made.

Heres your same MAC in black.

How about a New Haven SD70M in the McGinnis scheme? :D

Diehard NH fans will see where i goofed up on the nose, so itll need some retouching but for now it looks pretty sharp :cool:

WOWOWOW!!!!! I LOVE that color you threw on the dash 8!!!! That makes it look pretty sweet!! How bout an SD40-2 in that same color? How would I go about painting the front like that tho, decals maybe?

Thanks ! Heres your SD40-2, im starting to like this scheme. Went ahead and painted the handrails black, it kindve covers the name on the long hood but that can be corrected. Youll have to let me know what you think of the handrails being black.

The image on the nose could be done with either paint or a custom decal, but im not a custom painter. There are several on this forum that could help you out with that question. I know Steve (the guy who requested the Blue and Tan SD70MAC) paints his own locomotives, maybe hell chime in.

And without further ado...

WHOA!! All I can say is AWESOME!!! I love that paint scheme on both of those loco's, but I kinda think the tan stripe should come forward a lil more on the SD...maybe starting right at the back of the cab. Other then that I really like both of those...just trying to decide not if it looks better with black or silver trucks n tank...I kinda like both...might have to do the GE's in silver n the EMD's in black!!

Have you by chance got any other scheme's that come to mind with a bit of a western theme? I think I am gonna call my railroad "Western Plains"

I would paint the nose on that unit as getting a decal to match the color will be almost imposible. Here is how I would do it.

• Make a scale copy of the drawing that littlefoot made and print it out
  • Place a piece of clear acetate. (sheet protector) over it and trace it with a fine tip pen.
  • Cut out the outline to use as a template.
  • Place a wide (1") piece of masking tape on a piece of glass.
  • Place the template over the tape and trace the outline onto the tape.
  • Use a sharp Exacto knife to cut along the line.
  • Remove the piece of tape carefully and put it in position on the model.
  • Repeat the steps above for the other side. Remember to flip over the template when tracing on the tape to get the mirror image

Heres an SD70M painted in The Rock colors. I kindve botched the logo and i didnt do a great job with the color of the blue, but it looks okay.

I need some more ideas though people, i know theres someone out there who needs something drawn, let me give it a shot :D

Hey Littlefoot14...would you be able to design what the decal might look like on the front of the 8-40 CW that you did for me in black/tan? I have some shells stripped n am in the process of detailing and then off to the custom painter guy!! Also, what color did you use for the tan?

BTW...I have changed the name to Western Plains and here is what I think would look good on the conductors side of the long hood...what do ya think?

Hey Littlefoot14...would you be able to design what the decal might look like on the front of the 8-40 CW that you did for me in black/tan? I have some shells stripped n am in the process of detailing and then off to the custom painter guy!! Also, what color did you use for the tan?

BTW...I have changed the name to Western Plains and here is what I think would look good on the conductors side of the long hood...what do ya think?

Heres your front view. Youll need to decide what color you would like the handrails drawn, i left them white on the original Dash 8 drawing, and did the same on this version. I believe i painted them black on the SD40-2 drawing though.

The tan was just a generic tan from MS paint.

Your logo looks great. Think of something for the nose, it looks a bit plain for my tastes as it stands.

Looks good to me!! I am thinkin maybe just the initials on there 'W' on the one side n 'P' on the other then it wouldnt look so plain. Can ya do one with black tank n sideframes with the WP on the front n WESTERN PLAINS on the side? Also, I have decided to go with black handrails and trucks n tanks on all my 6 axle loco's, n the silver trucks n tans on my geeps...

Back