More Correct Stacks for HO ATSF & LAJ ALCO S-2 & S-4

cajon

Not liking the too short cylindrical stacks for my Santa Fe & LAJ ALCO S-2/S-4 models by Atlas & Bachmann, had David Cutting of Cutting Edge Scale Models do the stacks thru Shapeways. The Santa Fe ones are rectangular & not cylindrical. The LAJ stacks are cylindrical but taller. Attached images of Santa Fe & LAJ stacks on Bachmann S-2 models.
Anyone know if these 2 types were used by any other RRs?
If you would like to get any of these stacks, email me at lajrmdlr AT gmail.com. There's 16 stacks per sprue. All my ATSF & LAJ modeler friends "gobbled up" my first batches but will be getting 2 more sprues of each type by 6/11/14. They will be soaked in Bestine 24 hours so they so they turn white & take paint.
1R ATSF ALCO STACK mounted-001.jpg
6 LAJ CUTTIG EDGE-SHAPEWAYS ALCO STACK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the early Alco S-2s did not come with stacks from the factory and the railways made their own stacks - either square or some variation of the standard jug-shaped stack that Alco would install on later S-2s and early S-4s. Santa Fe preferred extended exhaust stacks on their switchers - I've seen photos of Santa Fe Alco, GM, and Baldwin switchers with tall exhaust stacks. A higher stack supposedly prevents fumes and smoke from entering the cab.

Have many pix of Santa Fe S-2s showing them w/ the tall rectangular stacks in both the zebra & pin stripe schemes. But do have an image from a painting that included 2345 in pre zebra w/ a short rectangular stack. Also have a few pix of early LAJ S-2s that have the short cylindrical stacks. Even have an ALCO builders photo of LAJ #1 w/ NO stack. Probably not many people left from those early days who can tell us for sure about ATSF & LAJ ALCO stacks.

Back