More Birmingham history pics for our steam fans

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hello everyone. Today LGM, Alex and I went on another field trip. This is another of those rare posts that I can't disclose the location or much information on the web due to to the landowners privacy concerns. I want to say a special thanks to John for being so gracious and showing us around. We enjoyed our visit very much. The pics are something I thought ya'll would enjoy, so here they are.

219886518.jpg

219886522.jpg

219886520.jpg

Look closely. ALCO, May 1910.
219886523.jpg

Poor girls, at leas they're covered now.

Actually, they've been covered since shortly after their retirement in the 40s. They are just very old in a damp climate. Their story is unique and the foresight that kept them from the torch is very commendable. It was great to have had the opportunity to see them.

Gman, Awsome photos as usual!! Im with Rex, I hope the story follows.

I cant sleep as usual, so I did a bit of playin around in Photoshop. Came up with this.. hope you don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
It just goes to show what IS out there if you know where to look, great detective work GM

here are a couple of shot's from my local area, the rusty old saddle tank loco used to operate at Pretoria pit in Westhoughton Lancashire and is still in the area looking very sorry for it self, the red saddle tank went about 8 years ago for a new life in preservation, it was in very good condition as it was used at another local pit well into the 1980's.

The pit will always be remembered for the great disaster when 344 men and boy's died in a horrific collapse, thse link's tell the story, the old rusty loco carried lot's of the victims away to there home town's
http://www.bolton.org.uk/pretoriapit.html

http://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/305.html

pretoriapitshunter.jpg

Harry
harry.jpg

Steve, That's some facinating historical info you linked. BTW, I envy the historical preservation you have in England.

Scott, Good work with Photoshop.

Rex, I'd love to post the story, but can't. Local landowners deal with a variety of issues ranging from dumping trash to illegal drugs. Of course, when one of the troublemakers gets hurt, the landowner ends up getting sued. :mad: Most folks aren't on their property to appreciate historical artifacts. I know there are no members here that would present a problem, but since this is the open internet... This is one of the few times the pics will have to speak for themselves.

Back