Monthy Picture Thread - March 2021

IMG_9465.JPG
IMG_9465.JPG

It’s Tuesday and day 2. Nice pictures posted and now we need to see more contributors.

it also helps to press the post, so now it’s day 3, Wednesday

My tree tunnel
TomO

14465ADC-52DD-4595-AAFE-848288F9CE22.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E2B2AA7-03C6-4C62-8595-607E154CF42F.jpeg
    9E2B2AA7-03C6-4C62-8595-607E154CF42F.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
The Coffee Shop is a place to enjoy the company of other modelers to share views and ideas. The posting of photos in the Coffee Shop is the perfect place to showcase photos including 1:1 railroading, something related to scale model railroading or just sharing what's happening in your part of the planet.
And I have to disagree greatly there. The Coffee Shop was originally created to chat about off topic (not train related stuff). It is not a perfect place to .... as many people avoid it.

Unfortunately I don't have a cool picture to share at the moment.

Good morning. Lloyd, that apple treat is spectacular, well done sir.
I never noticed the junker until Willie’s comment, had to go back and look, WOW.
Write a scenery clinic on this scene.
TomO

Thanks Tom.
I usually post on my Facebook which is only about trains every week and share on other Facebook groups.
Lots of people have asked about how to make those trees, or curtains flopping in open windows, or scratch building and doing interiors.
I'm working on my MMR and I'm involve in my NMRA Division and NMRAx and also doing clinics for other divisions.
All this to say, I wish I had time to do videos or written clinics, but I'm also trying to finish my layout which is 40' x 20' and there's still lots to be done.

Never say never....... will see about a small clinic on the subject.

Thanks Tom.
I usually post on my Facebook which is only about trains every week and share on other Facebook groups.
Lots of people have asked about how to make those trees, or curtains flopping in open windows, or scratch building and doing interiors.
I'm working on my MMR and I'm involve in my NMRA Division and NMRAx and also doing clinics for other divisions.
All this to say, I wish I had time to do videos or written clinics, but I'm also trying to finish my layout which is 40' x 20' and there's still lots to be done.

Never say never....... will see about a small clinic on the subject.

I was wondering why I recognized that scene. I follow MHO Junction and when you said you were working on your MMR it clicked. Hey it’s tough to get old.

TomO

Since I model mostly small farm communities, I have other grain/feed/seed stores similar to the one in post #3.
Here's a another laser-cut kit, this one from Blair Line called Greene's Feed & Seed; that I have renamed Wayne Feeds.
IMG_5712.JPG
IMG_5713.JPG

Still needs a dab of weathering which I haven't determined yet. It is going to reside in yet another undeveloped area on the layout. I have many undeveloped areas.

Ok, small contribution from me. Sorry my layout doesn't have any scenery like many of the fine contributions above, but here's what I was working on the other day. A couple summers ago at a show, I picked up an older Atlas Master series Dash 8-40BW. The seller insisted it was new old stock, but on closer inspection at home, the already programmed loco address and one missing sunshade made me think perhaps otherwise. It also ran a little funny-- the motor worked fine, but the grade performance puzzled me. Going up or down grade (my layout ruling grade is 3%), it would either dramatically slow down or speed up respectively, with a constant throttle setting. That behavior was the same if running light, or pulling cars. I expect some performance effects going up or down hills, but this loco did it to almost comical effect compared with my other equipment.

The locomotive came with (what I think was) Atlas' early "analog DCC" which I suspected was the cause. It didn't come with a manual and I didn't feel like tracking one down to see how easy it would be to reprogram, so I ordered a new non-sound DCC board from Soundtraxx. I also replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and was going to also put small LEDs behind the ditch lights, when I ran out of patience. Getting the shell off/on, breaking one brake cylinder while trying to reattach the brake chain, etc. just led me to call it a day. I've discovered on these DCC installs, I'm really good at carefully measuring out how much wire to use, figuring out where to put the resistor, soldering it in place, adding liquid electric tape, and then finding something I did won't work. In this case, I discovered I couldn't reinstall the cab floor because the resistor I put beneath it was just a shade too thick.

Anyway, long story short, I eventually got it all back together and it runs great now--no performance issues on grades anymore. I may try and install the ditch lights in the future someday, if I feel brave enough to try opening it up again. Here it is back in service with a Fox Valley GP60M (with which it consists very nicely, probably because that also has a Soundtraxx decoder in it too):

P1010500.jpg

Last edited:
As for the thread, I post pics in the coffee shop and will continue to do so. However I don't think many wouldn't go back in the previous months to look at what photos were posted that month. I don't start threads due to some of the negative comments or lack of interest in what I do. (I've tried in the past) So having the ability to post a pic in a thread to add to a conversation or in something like the coffee shop, it is seen and eventually forgotten. With that said some will see stuff that is new or repeat depending how much of this forum you read.
IMG_3766.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3768.jpg

Back