Monthy Picture Thread - March 2021

As for the thread, I post pics in the coffee shop and will continue to do so. However I don't think many wouldn't go back in the previous months to look at what photos were posted that month. I don't start threads due to some of the negative comments or lack of interest in what I do. (I've tried in the past) So having the ability to post a pic in a thread to add to a conversation or in something like the coffee shop, it is seen and eventually forgotten. With that said some will see stuff that is new or repeat depending how much of this forum you read.View attachment 125841View attachment 125842View attachment 125843
This looks great and you show something I have been thinking about doing. But, I have too much going on so it will be awhile.

TomO

Ok, small contribution from me. Sorry my layout doesn't have any scenery like many of the fine contributions above, but here's what I was working on the other day. A couple summers ago at a show, I picked up an older Atlas Master series Dash 8-40BW. The seller insisted it was new old stock, but on closer inspection at home, the already programmed loco address and one missing sunshade made me think perhaps otherwise. It also ran a little funny-- the motor worked fine, but the grade performance puzzled me. Going up or down grade (my layout ruling grade is 3%), it would either dramatically slow down or speed up respectively, with a constant throttle setting. That behavior was the same if running light, or pulling cars. I expect some performance effects going up or down hills, but this loco did it to almost comical effect compared with my other equipment.

The locomotive came with (what I think was) Atlas' early "analog DCC" which I suspected was the cause. It didn't come with a manual and I didn't feel like tracking one down to see how easy it would be to reprogram, so I ordered a new non-sound DCC board from Soundtraxx. I also replaced the bulbs with LEDs, and was going to also put small LEDs behind the ditch lights, when I ran out of patience. Getting the shell off/on, breaking one brake cylinder while trying to reattach the brake chain, etc. just led me to call it a day. I've discovered on these DCC installs, I'm really good at carefully measuring out how much wire to use, figuring out where to put the resistor, soldering it in place, adding liquid electric tape, and then finding something I did won't work. In this case, I discovered I couldn't reinstall the cab floor because the resistor I put beneath it was just a shade too thick.

Anyway, long story short, I eventually got it all back together and it runs great now--no performance issues on grades anymore. I may try and install the ditch lights in the future someday, if I feel brave enough to try opening it up again. Here it is back in service with a Fox Valley GP60M (with which it consists very nicely, probably because that also has a Soundtraxx decoder in it too):

View attachment 125740

As a kid I had the Super Chief in Lionel 027. Every birthday and Christmas my grandmother for years purchased the passenger cars. It was an ABA locomotive consist. I fell in love with anything Santa Fe and loved the red and silver schemes of color. I don’t think you have to worry about scenery! Trains is what is all about to me and I am sure others.

TomO

Looks as though this new forum addition has become quite popular. I had not noticed it when I posted a few pics in the other discussion this morning. This discussion is less about what was for breakfast, or local weather,...more about trains.

I'm working my way around the perimeter of my layout section by section laying track according to my brown paper templates, and then soldering in the feeder wires. This turntable/roundhouse area was pretty track intensive,..

image%28134%29.png

Moving on to the steel mill scene for the next few days,..

image%2867%29.png

image-20201206072905-1.jpeg

I really should review some of these photos for better ideas on how to detail the interiors.
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/33344?page=12

As for the thread, I post pics in the coffee shop and will continue to do so. However I don't think many wouldn't go back in the previous months to look at what photos were posted that month. I don't start threads due to some of the negative comments or lack of interest in what I do. (I've tried in the past) So having the ability to post a pic in a thread to add to a conversation or in something like the coffee shop, it is seen and eventually forgotten. With that said some will see stuff that is new or repeat depending how much of this forum you read.View attachment 125841View attachment 125842View attachment 125843
Sure looks like that CN covered hopper ran into something that will require extensive repair work! Great job!

I've been at club a lot this past week doing a project for our local NMRA chapter. As such, I brought my Little Joe out for the hell of it.

This is an MTH Little Joe with ProtoSound 3. I bought it used. I have added a bunch of extra weight to the pilot trucks to make them track better. Next step is to replace the ProtoSound system with ESU Loksound, hopefully gaining some reliability in the progress (PS3 is very touchy, this thing doesn't grab as much power as you'd think it should with 12 axles) and add more weight to increase power.
IMG_20210313_232022807_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
With a helpful diesel this thing works pretty okay. On its own it runs like crap.
IMG_20210313_231548991_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Layout may be northern Minnesota but a few places, with the right camera angles, can really look like the MILW's western territories.

Back