Monthly Picture Thread - June 2021

Thanks for opening the June Thread. TomO

A Gp40-2w Athearn Genesis in CN livery.

C4FFAA16-6CE1-44CC-8916-971FC981695F.jpeg

This is in LaGrange, Texas. The Depot Museum M-K-T. Not open during the time we showed up on 5/27/2021

BE195ECE-9FCB-454F-B73B-4A8CDD82FB5D.jpeg

62917C2C-D1EA-4BDF-B10D-11FFA02D15A8.jpeg

My part...oops, I need number boards.
Do I put X-1467 on front?
View attachment 128709

Historically train reporting numbers were used to denote trains in the internal working timetable. These contained one or more letters or numbers to either uniquely identify a particular train, or denote its route (particularly on busier lines).

Train reporting numbers

Each train schedule has a four character code called the train reporting number assigned. This code, sometimes called a headcode, is entered in to the signalling system at the start of a train's journey, and is called the train description.

Head Code priority

Priorities go from Express services (9XXX), then semi-express services (1XXX), stopping services (2XXX), and lastly, services from the depot (3XXX).

My layout isn't in any condition for photos right now, so hopefully prototype images are ok. I had to run some errands around town a couple days ago, so I brought the camera along just in case. Passing through the Hiawatha Avenue switching district, I noticed Minnesota Commercial 68, a B23-7, dropping off a gondola at an industry. After circling the block a few times, I found a place to park, started walking to the closest crossing, and as happens to me so many times in these situations, just as I got there, the lights activated and the loco took off before I could even get a shot. I ran back to my truck and went racing through the neighborhood trying to find a place to get ahead of it. I managed to catch it along the Midtown Greenway just before it went across the Mississippi River.

DSC_6538.jpg

Not the best day for photography, and I'm trying to hold my camera over the fence after running up a flight of stairs from the street, but I got a few pics. Moments later, the engine approaches the Short Line Bridge over the Mississippi. The bridge is protected by a gate, which I thought would require stopping and having a crew member step down to open. But no, like an automatic door at the grocery store, as the GE rolled up, the gate opened, and continued onto the bridge without even slowing. The gates were added after an arson fire in 2006. The Short Line was originally built in the late 1800s as a more direct routing between St. Paul and Minneapolis by the Milwaukee Road, and is part of the CP today.

DSC_6541.jpg

Back