MONTHLY Photo Fun! - August 2016

If you are going to try out pastels, give your wagon a light spray of dullcote first, they'll hang on to that better than a shiny (or clean) surface. They will also wash off if you don't like what you've done. Their disadvantage is that sealing them with dullcote usually has a similar effect to washing i.e they disappear, especially the light shades. Handling also removes some as well.

Toot'n,

Thanks mate and I agree with you about pastel washing off. I did try my hand at weathering a building using the "chalk" and when it went on it looked fine color wise; however, as soon as I tried sealing it, it with dullcote it all vanished as you said :( Think that is why I gave up on weathering. Seemed like a lot of work for little result.

Toot'n,

Thanks mate and I agree with you about pastel washing off. I did try my hand at weathering a building using the "chalk" and when it went on it looked fine color wise; however, as soon as I tried sealing it, it with dullcote it all vanished as you said :( Think that is why I gave up on weathering. Seemed like a lot of work for little result.

I'll be emailing you about all that this wekend.

Here's one I just finished. This boxcar started life as an Intermountain undecorated 5277 cu. ft. offering. Both the main colors were mixed to try to achieve as close a match as I could. Model Masters enamels were used. The upper "older" paint was weathered with acrylics, oils and pastels. Once sealed with Dull Coat I sprayed the bottom red mix. Decals were sourced from several companies.

BKTY%20150897%201_zpslhe7ywhs.jpg

BKTY%20150897%203_zpsbfs4jnhn.jpg

BKTY%20160897%202_zps8am01rzp.jpg

IMG_7294_zpsifr5ryiv.jpg
IMG_7470_zpsc6a1i35a.jpg

Here's one I just finished. This boxcar started life as an Intermountain undecorated 5277 cu. ft. offering. Both the main colors were mixed to try to achieve as close a match as I could. Model Masters enamels were used. The upper "older" paint was weathered with acrylics, oils and pastels. Once sealed with Dull Coat I sprayed the bottom red mix. Decals were sourced from several companies.

BKTY%20150897%201_zpslhe7ywhs.jpg

BKTY%20150897%203_zpsbfs4jnhn.jpg

BKTY%20160897%202_zps8am01rzp.jpg

IMG_7294_zpsifr5ryiv.jpg
IMG_7470_zpsc6a1i35a.jpg

Awesome!!!! I really like that...you should post it over at Protomodeler.com

Great work everybody ..

I modeled C&S 700D to look like the real one did after it was rebuilt following a head-on collision. EMD rebuilt the F7A into an F9Am.

CampS700DHL_zpscd2dabaf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent work on that box car. Well Done.

Garry - I always enjoy seeing your urban scenes. I was always wanting to do something like that, but the area I am modeling doesn't have any large town. Even today, five stories is about it with the exception of Montana State University and those were not around in the time period I am modeling.

Here's a shot of a Milwaukee Road switcher spotting a box car as a grain truck pulls off the scale to unload grain.

IMAG0813.jpg

Garry - I always enjoy seeing your urban scenes. I was always wanting to do something like that, but the area I am modeling doesn't have any large town. Even today, five stories is about it with the exception of Montana State University and those were not around in the time period I am modeling.

Here's a shot of a Milwaukee Road switcher spotting a box car as a grain truck pulls off the scale to unload grain.

IMAG0813.jpg

great shot!

2016-08-12 10.18.08.jpg

The start of the fifth configuration of my railroad. This time around, I am doing one section at a time, about 9 or 10 square feet, starting at the back and moving forward. It is a different idea than any I have used before, but it means a lot less mistakes and "re-do's" Still have a lot of detail to add.

Garry,

Would you ever consider posting a sketch, or your layout, or a layout tour video? I enjoy the photos you post here, as your layout definitely captures the 'Midwestern feel,' of say Chicago, as well as the suburbs, from what I've seen. Having grown up in the suburbs or NYC, + having traveled around the country some, over the years, your modeling definitely captures those places. I like your equipment/rolling stock too.

Thanks,
Otiscnj/Carl

IMAG0813.jpg

Great picture Chet. Love the kids and the swing, nice touch.

Mel

First off, thank you! Funny though, I can't remember the manufacturer since I built this part in 09'. The top portions are plaster castings I purchased and the bottom parts are blue foam, carved and painted. I'll try to remember later today.

Edit: I think they are AIM products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Back