Modifying Koester's Wingate layout to HO

Badger2

Any difficulties modifying the Wingate plan from O to HO other than the obvious of making it 15" by 8'? Or maybe that's not so obvious. I can expand the width by another 5 or 6 inches, but not the length. I realize it's a bare bones switching layout. I'm old, but beginning novise. I've delayed building something for a long time, and it's past time for me to get started. This one seemed like something I could handle.

Helpful thoughts, anyone?

I'm not sure what you are talking about but I assume the original is 30" x 16'. O scale isn't exactly twice as big as HO so if the plan is 16' on O you need 8'10" to duplicate exactly in HO. Not that it matters, just take the elements of what you like and build it. Maybe instead of 50' cars use 40' cars and you won't miss the 10". If it's already 40' move back to when cars were 36' long. It's your rr and if it works for you it works.

I like the plan, it’s simple yet it has interesting operations. I’d look at angling the coal house track to the top right corner just to lengthen it and get away from the straight edge look.

83BD3FB1-3CBC-4230-AB36-088B18741F1D.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish it was not so linear. If I build this, or something like it, I'd make the width (in HO) a little deeper and angle the main a bit, or put in cosmetic curve. Would like to see a bit more of the town, too. If deeper, some flats or partial buildings on the backdrop might add some reason for the depot being there. I like detail, so a small layout like this offers opportunity to use time to flesh things out a bit than a larger one might not, given the same amount of hobby time available.

Take a peak at Burlington Bob’s thread:

Any difficulties modifying the Wingate plan from O to HO

Not really, If you are not space challenged, it will allow you to build your layout with more depth, and lengthen or otherwise modify some of the tracks, sidings etc. That includes working some curvature into it. Don't be afraid to take a plan and alter it to suit yourself.

Back