Modern Strip Mall/Custom Decals

SunsetLimited

Enjoy the Journey
Hey all,

I've recently been experimenting with custom ink-jet printed decals, and as part of the project I found an N Scale Strip Mall on eBay. I think it was 3D Printed.

I painted it and applied my custom decals. Let me know what you think!

Forum Mall 1.jpg
Forum Mall 2.jpg

Cheers,
Mitch

Those look great - wish your photos were larger?

Are you able to make "white" such as steam Loco numbers?

Looks great. There's a company that makes modern commercial structures, such as fast food outlets (DQ, Taco Bell, etc), and others (like CVS) that might actually make a strip mall style kit in maybe HO or N. Don't model the present day, so haven't looked to buy them, but they do look nice, with the modern graphics.

It depends on the decal paper that you buy. Ink-Jet printers don't print white, so anything white on my particular decal paper was clear. But you can buy decal paper that has white backing instead of clear if you want white to show up.

I don't understand how decal paper with a white backing is going to help to make Loco and Tender numbers?

I don't understand how decal paper with a white backing is going to help to make Loco and Tender numbers?

It's confusing, I know. But if you get clear decal paper for an ink-jet printer, the printer will interpret white as 'no colour' and not print anything as it assumes the paper is white anyway. Imagine drawing on paper with a white pen. Nothing shows up. But if the decal paper is clear, and ink-jets don't print white, you end up with clear numbers or number boards.

It would be the same as was spoken about a while ago (sorry, can't recall who) that said to set the background as black and the numbers as white, but in that case was using white printing paper. The printer ignores the white, as it can't produce it and relies on the fact that the background is white anyway. I tried it with my inkjet and it worked, but was a bit fuzzy. Could have been the paper or the printer. White decal paper might produce cleaner definition.

Looks great. There's a company that makes modern commercial structures, such as fast food outlets (DQ, Taco Bell, etc), and others (like CVS) that might actually make a strip mall style kit in maybe HO or N. Don't model the present day, so haven't looked to buy them, but they do look nice, with the modern graphics.
Summit Custom Cuts

Back