Modern Norfolk Southern prototype questions

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
I'm starting a new layout and I don't know anything about the prototype and period I am modeling. I am doing 2007 NS with Conrail switching on the Pennsylvania Mainline.

What kind of motive power would I look for. I don't know what they are but they are big. They dwarf the SD-40 helpers.

What does Conrail use to switch the yards? The only time I saw them was when I first started and then I was modeling steam. I'm guessing geeps, 38's or 40's.

On a side note, an occasional Amtrak will come through. I like the Acela, but when I look at coaches, I have no clue what to look for. The coaches all say stuff like phase III. What should I look for?

NS mainline freight has allot of varied power. SD80MAC's, C40-9W's, SD70's ES40DC's, Dash 9-40C (yes C, not CW), ect, ect... NS is a stickler on 4000hp units, DC traction, hence the Dash 9-40's not 44's. Check out the dynamic roster on LocoPhotos, or the roster on The Diesel Shop, both will give you an idea of what they run.

Switching is mostly SD40-2's and slugs, in just about every rr's yards now... Can't go wrong with that. GP35/38/38-2/40/40-2 would work too.

Modeling the Dash 9-40CW's and Dash 9-40C's are fairly simple. CW's are outwardly the same as Dash 9-44CW's, some minor differences, so using a 44 would be fine. HO & N models from Kato are great, allot of NS/Conrail prototypes. ;)

Amtrak, you'd be looking for PhIV (phase 4) coaches, and PhV (phase 5) P42's (AMD 103). Northeast Direct would work ok for the region also that being PhIV, and just about every type (Superliner, Superliner II, Amfleet, Budd, ect.) Acela's travel on "exclusive" electrified corridors, but if you add that, you can also run the Acela local trains... So much to model there.

Anything more?

Does Amtrak still use these P42?

KA-Genesis-V.jpg

Back