Modern Fallen Flag Modelling

rock4329

Having seen the NYC SD70m's on these forums inspired a question for everyone. If you were to model a fallen flag railroad as it would exist today, what railroad would you model, and why?

I would model the Illinois Central, in Orange and White. Why? Other than the fact that I liked the paint scheme, I feel that the paint scheme would fit ANY locomotive without modification. Dosen't matter if it is safety cab or standard cab. The scheme would work on it.

For modern diesels that IC/ICG didn't have, I'd model:

GP60's, split 50/50 between wide and standard cab, for TOFC and COFC.
SD70M's (non flared) for general merchandise and coal trains.
MP15DC's, For switching yards and local runs.
CW44-9's, For Coal service
AC44CW's For Coal service

I'd still model the GP38-2's and GP40's, and even throw in about 40 GP40X's. I'd also roster more than 10 SD40-2's and more than 1 SD45.:D

I would also model IC GP15-1's to replace all of IC's GP10's and GP11's.

So, What fallen flag would you modernize, and with what?

Santa Fe, and Copper Range RR. Oh that or WCL. To many goodies. I think I'd REALLY love to do an up to date modern Copper Range RR, not to big, but just right.

SOUTHERN

I model it because it is the road that I love.

I have seen the NYC engines in person and they are SWEET

IMG_0669-1.jpg

-Smoke

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I'm mainly a GN modeller, it'd be GN. Though with the current BNSF heritage stuff, that's close to the EB colors. I'd probably paint that stuff Big Sky Blue as well.

But, I also model the Hill Lines (NP, SP&S), so from that standpoint, I'd be painting locos those colors (like the NP Pine Tree or Canoe schemes).

BTW, I did buy the Tower 55 NP fantasy schemes for the ES44DCs....

:D

Kennedy

I like NYC's in the traditional color schemes !!!! Back in it's day NYC was quite an empire

Southern Pacific--a railroad with tradition that goes back about as far as you can go. Best looking passenger train and Steam Loco--Sunset--and it just sold track rights to the Rock Ridge Railroad.

wow!

gosh I would like to see a couple o'l fallen flags paint scheme on and SD90 or and EVO.

To name a few...

Western Pacific
Rio Grande (black/orange)
Rock Island (all their schemes)
Southern Pacific (all of their schemes)
Sante Fe (Warbonnet)
Northern Pacific (black & gold)

mmm... thats it for now

As an avid SP fan I was dissapointed by Tower 55's modern GE in Black Widow: it doesn't look right to me. However, an ABBA F7 set in Black Widow is the most beautiful loco/scheme combination ever.

Of all the modern loco's in Fallen Flag scheme's , I particularly like the SD70MAC's in NYC cigarband, someone posted pictures of a matched set of 4 sometime ago. Care to post a few more?

Regards,

René

Denver & Rio Grande Western

Having seen the NYC SD70m's on these forums inspired a question for everyone. If you were to model a fallen flag railroad as it would exist today, what railroad would you model, and why?

I would model the Illinois Central, in Orange and White. Why? Other than the fact that I liked the paint scheme, I feel that the paint scheme would fit ANY locomotive without modification. Dosen't matter if it is safety cab or standard cab. The scheme would work on it.

For modern diesels that IC/ICG didn't have, I'd model:

GP60's, split 50/50 between wide and standard cab, for TOFC and COFC.
SD70M's (non flared) for general merchandise and coal trains.
MP15DC's, For switching yards and local runs.
CW44-9's, For Coal service
AC44CW's For Coal service

I'd still model the GP38-2's and GP40's, and even throw in about 40 GP40X's. I'd also roster more than 10 SD40-2's and more than 1 SD45.:D

I would also model IC GP15-1's to replace all of IC's GP10's and GP11's.

So, What fallen flag would you modernize, and with what?

Well, for "modernize" that is a relative term...but following your lead I would go with the Denver & Rio Grande Western. I love the livery black & orange diesels. There is a gentleman that shows up in the modeling literature quite a bit (Doug Hassold I believe his name) that has an outstanding DRGW layout in HO circa late 1980s.

For my pike, I would put a fleet of F45's in orange and black! I can rationalize after the ATSF dumped them the fledging DRG&W picked them up! I would further rationalize all sorts of oddballs showing up on the line. Sure, you would see SD70s too but I like the less-flashy and more brutish old school.

My modernization of the DRG&W would simply be, that the company would still be in business but the funds would still be tight and they would have to adopt the hand-me-downs of the other big roads.

However....EVERYTHING would be orange and black!

I really like the modern NYC locos that have been featured on this forum in the past, but I'd like to see a few modern PRR diesels as well. Maybe even a modern DL&W (also an area road at one time). It would be a fun project to model my hometown area in a 21st century era under the "if it had happened like this" clause of the modeler's license :D

I really like the modern NYC locos that have been featured on this forum in the past, but I'd like to see a few modern PRR diesels as well. Maybe even a modern DL&W (also an area road at one time). It would be a fun project to model my hometown area in a 21st century era under the "if it had happened like this" clause of the modeler's license :D

That's my New York Central you're talking about, and um, we sorta acquired the PRR back in the late 60s. :D Actually, my version of the NYC is the combination of all the major bankrupt northeastern roads, but all having kept the NYC identity. Sort of like Conrail, except in NYC colors...

IMG_6089.jpg

That's just my spin on history, of course...

That's my New York Central you're talking about, and um, we sorta acquired the PRR back in the late 60s. :D Actually, my version of the NYC is the combination of all the major bankrupt northeastern roads, but all having kept the NYC identity. Sort of like Conrail, except in NYC colors...

IMG_6089.jpg

That's just my spin on history, of course...

What a great set of locomotives! WOW! I LOVE IT!!!!

Happy Railroading! (It's your world, you model what you want!)

His name is Doug TAGSOLD, and yes, he has an outstanding D&RG layout. The Allen Keller Video on his layout is OUTSTANDING.

Woops...yes, Tagsold, sorry about that! Also, I guess I could drop the "W" and call it the D&RG to be more precise! :D After all, I was talking mainline...

He is an excellent modeller, and recently has made a new On3 D&RGW old-timer narrow gauge excursion layout but with the added feature of prototype passenger and freight operations. Did you happen to see his article in Great Model Railroads 2007? I highly recommend this issue.

As part of my modeling I am modeling the Lehigh & New England as it could have been in the 1970’s and 1980’s. The L&NE went out of business in 1962.

I just like the idea of continuing the history of a railroad into today. It gives me an opportunity to be a little bit creative.

I have done a couple of locomotives (Atlas U23B) in a “fantasy” scheme for the late 60’s early 70’s. One of my future projects is to make some freight cars for the L&NE that would be appropriate for that era such as 50 foot boxcars, higher capacity open hoppers. I also have two Atlas undecorated RS-11's that will be done in a L&NE scheme.

Here are the U23B’s
Atlas_coal_drag_001_a.jpg

Atlas_coal_drag_003_a.jpg

Back