Modern Fallen Flag Modelling

Excellent work Tom! I've always enjoyed your modeling and your "roll by" pictures!

The Executive Scheme is what really made me decide to go HO scale instead of N: All my local dealers couldn't find the Executive Merger version of the Kato SD70 in N or otherwise, but one got lucky and found one: Hence, I finally got of the fence and went with HO. Going to wind up basing my eventual layout on the period surrounding the Merger, so I have a wide array of locomotives, paint schemes, and as well as plenty of excuses to paint SD70's in Cascade Green and so on. (perhaps even a Executive Scheme GP60M and B unit lash up.. just for fun?)

Last edited by a moderator:
New York Central in the family

I model the NYC because My father and grand father worked for the NYC. My 2 uncles worked for the NYC. Myself and my brother worked for the Penn Central. My brother now works for the MTA. My best friends father worked for the NYC. My best friend and his brother worked for the Penn Central. My 2 next door neighbors worked for the NYC. My other neighbor worked for the Penn Central.

That's it.

NYC_George

wowsa! So are you based out NY?
I am originally from Saratoga Springs, NY. My Grandfather worked for ALCO out of SCHENECTADY, NY during the steam to diesel transition era until they joined forces with GE. Grandad was a hell of Mech. Engineer there he was one of the leading authorities on the design team for most of the locos at the plant. My dad worked for GE after Vietnam then he went with Allis Chalmers which in turn was bought out by Siemens. He retired from there last year. 40 years of service. He dealt with traction motors for some time in his career. Although my family did not work for the RR but it is in our blood for the love of trains! We built them!

Saratoga

wowsa! So are you based out NY?
I am originally from Saratoga Springs, NY. My Grandfather worked for ALCO out of SCHENECTADY, NY during the steam to diesel transition era until they joined forces with GE. Grandad was a hell of Mech. Engineer there he was one of the leading authorities on the design team for most of the locos at the plant. My dad worked for GE after Vietnam then he went with Allis Chalmers which in turn was bought out by Siemens. He retired from there last year. 40 years of service. He dealt with traction motors for some time in his career. Although my family did not work for the RR but it is in our blood for the love of trains! We built them!

My wife, my friends and I love Saratoga. We go every year in the 2nd week of August. Golf and the horses. My cousin was the leading jockey in Boston for years and rode at Sira. Although most of my family worked for the railroad I didn't really want to. One of my uncles talked me into it, but I only lasted 12 years before I left. Now I work on high rise building which are mostly built next to train stations. But your right sooner or later the trains in your blood comes out and I guess that's why I have such a large layout.
So it looks like we'll be seeing some great engineering projects from you.

PS Did you have the GE stock when it split 3 for 1 a few years back.

NYC_George

Yeah it is in our blood for sure. Horses are too. Although I reside in FL right now and have a place in NC west of Boone and NY north of Saratoga. My sister lives in Saratoga. As of recently my parents are moving back to there too. They just bought another house there. Dad retired as I said earlier and they lived in OH for the last 12 years. So now they will be back "home". As for the GE stock all of us still have it and are doing well on it as well as Siemens stock.
I did take a different route in career choice. I am an engineer but a retired Architectural Engineer. LOL really I am still working and not that old just did the Arch thing for 15 years and got out of it. Last 3 projects were Train Depot restoration projects here in FL. I now work for a certain branch of government. Will serve 8 more years and then I will retire from there and do something else.

What a great set of locomotives! WOW! I LOVE IT!!!!
And trust me they look better in real life. Wait, that doesn't sound quite right. They look better in person .... Umm I know how to say it, "The photo doesn't do them justice."

I'd paint some SD-70's In a modern Wisconsin Central and also Milwaukee Road

All my favorites..

I was evening thinking during the drawing up of my railroad to include all my favorite railroads on it. But they would all be from different eras.

Scott

I model the NYC because My father and grand father worked for the NYC. My 2 uncles worked for the NYC. Myself and my brother worked for the Penn Central. My brother now works for the MTA. My best friends father worked for the NYC. My best friend and his brother worked for the Penn Central. My 2 next door neighbors worked for the NYC. My other neighbor worked for the Penn Central.

That's it.

NYC_George

My closest cousin has worked for Conrail/CSX for the past 25 years from the time he got out of high school.

Scott

Just to add to this thread I model Southern because that is the road I love.

IMG_0669-1.jpg

I wouldn't model a fallen flag, as Canadian Pacific is still around and kicking. (until UP buys them up :( ) But I would love to see some fallen paint schemes. Like CP's Tuscan red and grey script.

Resurrecting Chessie and the sleeping cat would be nice too.

I do the SP , as if it still exists , although the most modern loco at this time on the SP side of the Roster is an AC6000. They did order some just before they were bought out. Never delivered. I'm dying to try the Heritage scheme on a GE EVO
up1996_sp_fr_rv1_1.png

I do the SP , as if it still exists , although the most modern loco at this time on the SP side of the Roster is an AC6000. They did order some just before they were bought out. Never delivered. I'm dying to try the Heritage scheme on a GE EVO
up1996_sp_fr_rv1_1.png
*Drool* I'm still waiting for the Tower 55 Ace to come out, I'm gonna get me the CNW, Espee, and D&RGW units at least.

Back