Modern-day New York Central hauls the Tropicana Juice Train

mtrpls

Ignorance is Patriotic
Since my friend Eric (Zephyr) posted pictures of his SPSF OMAX train, thought I would post pictures of the Tropicana juice train hauled by my modern-day New York Central. The train is 70 cars long now, and after I add my current construction projects, will be over 100 cars. I have been working on this train for 2 years now.

Anyone have any vodka?

NYCS SD70MAC #757, followed by two sisters and a Susquehanna B40-8, pull 70 cars of juice...

IMG_4693.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4726.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4735.jpg

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg

The train crossing over itself, Tehachapi style...

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.htm

IMG_3097.jpg

IMG_3071.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3067.jpg

IMG_3041.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_3021.jpg

IMG_2996.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

Another look at the front end power:

IMG_4724.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

Nice work, Matt! You take very good photos! ;) And thanks for letting me go past the "members only" points! Looking forward to your current construction projects.

Nice work, Matt! You take very good photos! ;) And thanks for letting me go past the "members only" points! Looking forward to your current construction projects.

Wow! Nice layout. Oh to have a mainline that long.......... I have always liked the NYC colors and it is great to see it still around (if only in museums and clubs and of course those like yourself that model it!)

One important feature of the cars that isn't discernable from the pictures is the varied weathering on each car. While all cars were weathered with black pastel, some cars sport one coat of white (to fade) followed by black, and other cars boast two coats of white (to super-fade) followed by black.

Makes for a very interesting variety when they are all coupled together.

Nope - the guy who is supposedly in charge of the website I don't think he has actually met a computer before.

Some Juice train !

Just saw your photos of your juice train. "FANTASTIC" is the only way to discribe it. I'm putting together a Tropicana facility on my HO layout. It will be considered a "sub-facility". This will be one of my major industries on my layout. I figure it will be roughly 1' x 26'. Right now I have 7 white reefers and 25 orange reefers with 4 more to be decaled.
My overall layout size is 24x42 with a 2nd level around the outside wall.

Walt

Most excelllent train I've seen in awhile! :) I'm glad you went through all that work to create a top-notch train! I do think that you should throw in a SAL "Citrus" SD70M in there somewhere! ;)

Awesome... How much time did get you (or your group) to weatherer all this convoy???

And thanks for sharing

The cars were all Eel River Models kits, the ones that came as flat kits that required the assembly of the sides, ends, floor and roof into an enclosed model. All 60 cars were constructed with weights from Adair Shops, and they are particularly heavy as a result. I built the train assembly-line style, which took a little over 2 years to build. This included building the cars, adding the weights, changing the roadnumber of each car so it was unique, adding underbody details such as refrigeration and mechanical devices, adding metal stirrup steps, metal wheels, and weathering.

In addition to these 60 cars, I have an additional 30 Tropicana cars from various manufacturers.

Thanks for the compliments. I posted this topic a while ago, I'm surprised to see it still going strong!

Im impressed with the locomotives. I had an idea in my head to do NYC SD70Mac's. Did you paint yours or custom order them?

I think that makes you the director and owner of Tropicana, with that long line of box cars :), very nice job and nice layout.

Good job

Back