Modern day hobo's

I typically like to hit the picture sites like Railpictures at least once a day and today I found this photo.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=338293

Which after reading the story with the picture. There is a link to the discussion on railroad forums about the incident in further detail.

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33893

One of the guys must be a hobo for a living. UP t-shirt, UP tatoo on left arm, and appearently, a CSX tatoo on his right arm. They had cell phones, a guitar and even brought the dog with.

Wow, interesting. I just looked at that other thread.

It must be nice to have cell phones, cameras, beer, and a dog. all that and they wanted a free ride. Come on now....

I feel sorry for the dog.

its 2 fold.

1st) its wrong to trespass on ones property if your not invited...

2nd) If I was needy I would cut corners and make things as easy as I could to get by. Its human nature. I have hopped trains as a kid, stayed out after dark. rode my bicycle at night and got chased by the police. Many times I was just being a kid and could not be bothered by athority figures trying to push there power around. I have always thought that you are responcable for your own actions and if you take risks you may have to pay the price.... its what this country was found on. I also think that some laws are useless, designed to protect fools from themselves and simply wont follow them. You cant force stupidity on people. but like I said Im willing to pay a price if I was cought.

I see these hobos as "oddballs", by societys standards.These people simply took a risk, hopefully were aware of the price, and had to pay. I dont think train hoping is a sport and its not out of hand. I also think the railroad and police did what was expexted. not just for safty but to show they dont promote this kind of actions. I am suprised how casual the police were. Nice to see that they know these are not Muslem extreamist. seams like in most citys today they would have been in cuffs on the ground with a dogs all around them, guns drawn :rolleyes:

thats my .02:D

Several weeks ago I saw a 'Bo standing in the door of a empty boxcar and as the car roll by he yelled "Hey! Buddy! What's the name of this town?" I yelled back "Bucyrus!" He waved a thanks and retreated to the interior of the boxcar..

I couldn't help but, wonder where he was bound and where he was coming from and how miles he rode that empty.

I had the pleasure of seeing a 'Bo "nail" a freight train leaving Bellevue several years ago..It seem like one smooth move and he was aboard and out of sight..This man was no armature train hopper as he knew exactly what he was doing when he swung aboard a covered hopper and slid into the hole on the end and all of this was done in less then 15'..

Down at the West Colton yard, right near the Pepper exit, there's a full on encampment. I think of them as hobos more than your run-of-the-mill homeless due to their proximity to the tracks...

Down at the West Colton yard, right near the Pepper exit, there's a full on encampment. I think of them as hobos more than your run-of-the-mill homeless due to their proximity to the tracks...

See them there all the time,there is always 1 or two standing there with the typical cardboard sign. I guess the police don't bother them too much.

We had a hobo looking guy with a knapsack jump aboard the Loram 319 out in Kamloops BC one night.
He stayed on a whole three minutes until the train got thru the crossover and resumed grinding.
His shadow was last seen hi-tailing it thru the sparks and smoke into the darkness!

Back