Modern arena type circus train....

enjineerbill

Avid People Watcher
I know, I got lost.....but it doesn't mean I haven't been busy. Besides completing and selling 2 more complete American Freedom Trains(thank you), I have been building the circus models I've collected over the years. But of late are the wagons for the RBBB style arena wagons seen on the big railroad show of today. These are actually based on the 70's styled wagons and use styrene for the main construction. The title for the show is "American All-Star Circus", a show my wife and I once worked advance for, a small show that never travelled by train. When the owner sold out, he gave me the camera-ready artwork and said it was mine to do with whatever....so I made decals and the show was born. Keeps me from getting in bad with the "big-one". Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

BTW, looks like when I moved my images in the account, everything got lost, sorry.

Johnny

Riding on MadCow system flats, the new show wagons arrive at winterquarters. Here baggage, ticket and concession wagons are featured.
AASC_9.jpg

More wagons, third from left is a refrigerated supply wagon for pershiable items sold at shows.
AASC_10.jpg

A far cry from the big parade wagons from years gone by, these still make a pretty sight as the train rolls from town to town.
AASC_8.jpg

Last of the arrivals so far.
AASC_11.jpg

A 'family' photo.
AASC_7.jpg

The wagons are being delivered to the yet-to-be-completeted winterquarters shops. The shops are a museum of sorts, hosting lots of former historic circus equipment. These cars from the Baraboo train, will never again see a trip to Milwaukee....
ACE_65.jpg

I created this show as a way to test the decals for a large mid-40's-50's railroad show I have started.. They should be just fine.
AASC_6.jpg

I'll post pics of more circus equipment as I can.

May all your days,
Be circus days!

Johnny

you custom made the entire circus train set what would you charge to buy a set such as the one pictured

Wow, nice work! I would not mind some of those wagons for the RBBX trains of the late '00's and early '10's.

you custom made the entire circus train set what would you charge to buy a set such as the one pictured

It depends on what you are looking for as far as details and stuff. If your interested, PM me so we don't take up bw here.

Johnny

Elephant props wagon

Years ago, Life-like put out some very rough HO scale circus models. Among them, a dog wagon. This wagon was used by shows to transport the 4-pawed stars from town to town, kind of a canine-condo of sorts.

The wagon as it came from Life-Like looks like this:
AASC_W_1.jpg

Not a bad start, but with a few minor changes, you can give it a small upgrade. A lot of flash needs to be removed from these wagons. The brakewheels are too large and the footrest is way too thick. The wheels need the most attention. They have a severe mold parting ridge around the treads, and the spokes need to cleaned and filed. The ladder is cast and painted, I'll replace with wire grabs.

I used one of these models as a starting point for an elephant prop wagon. Used by the elephant dept. to store harnesses, spare bull-hooks and othe relephant 'stuff', it is a wagon of very similar design, the only real difference is no small cages, just enclosed wagon.
AASC_W_3.jpg

I also didn't care for the look of the plastic inserts used for cage windows. So I fitted mine with mesh.
AASC_W_6.jpg

Here are three examples of the wagon. From left to right: elephant props, stock Life-Like and the re-worked dog wagon copy.
AASC_W_5.jpg

Now they're going to get stripped and painted into the new show.

Post more when I can.

Johnny

Good looking work, Johnny. I always like to see guys take trainset type things and make them into real models.

Hi Jim,

Yeh, not to mention gettin' by on the cheap. For early 70's, Life-Like actually did ok on these models. The Five Graces Bandwagon is really nifty. They make great starting points for circus geeks like me. I try not to let collectors know I tear the stuff up, they frown upon paying upwards of $30.00 for a LL cage wagon for their collection, the very same ones I rip apart.........

Johnny

Swell stuff! Now, was it my imagination or did I see another train of yours in the forum during my lurker days?

Swell stuff! Now, was it my imagination or did I see another train of yours in the forum during my lurker days?

Well hello again Charles,

No sir, you are imagining things(here anyway), I did have another posted. The American Freedom Train which was a build process. I posted almost the whole build. Puter crashed, tried retrieving my pics from photobucket account lead to me moving the images and deleting them from the thread. As a computer guy, I'm a great modeler.

Glad you enjoy the circus stuff, it's my main interest.

Johnny

More 'stuff'

The long, tedious process of redoing the wagons fill the day. I'm backdating my train to about the early to mid 40's. Baggage horses are mostly phased out, elephants and cats(tractors) are now the means by which the circus loads and unloads. Lots of wooden wheels being replaced with hard rubber and pneumatic wheels and tires.

Here a plank wagon gets fitted with new shoes....
general001.jpg

Here is a view of some of the wagons designated for the first 2 sections of train. Mostly lumber, canvas and a part of the cage cut. This will be a three section train, the last comprised mostly of coaches. Some of the railcars are being painted and should be ready for formal pics soon.......
general004.jpg

Johnny

johny i have that exact same power supply in its original box granted i use it once in a while but i still have it. my dad bought it new when i was younger

johny i have that exact same power supply in its original box granted i use it once in a while but i still have it. my dad bought it new when i was younger

Hey Ron,Yeh an oldie but goodie. I only use it for testing the DC stuff I go through, but it once served me proud on a layout..........or two!

Johnny

i wish i was ron white. lol. have a look at the third name on the list (jamie) thats me.
that power supply will probably be on my run in track. then after i run a loco in i will convert it to dcc to put on the layout i have 35 locomotives to convert

i wish i was ron white. lol. have a look at the third name on the list (jamie) thats me.
that power supply will probably be on my run in track. then after i run a loco in i will convert it to dcc to put on the layout i have 35 locomotives to convert

DOH!!! Maybe I should have just called you 'Tater Salad'.........

Sorry, Jamie.

Johnny

More Life-Like...

The worst of the LL wagons, in my opinion, are the cages. These only resemble a circus wagon in respect to the decorated sides, everything else is wrong. They have open cage ends which most reliable cages did not. The under gear is like something from a buckboard wagon, nothing that would stand up to hard circus use. There is a ring on top for unloading with a crane?? But those sides make it worth saving.

I find that with a little bit of work, they would make fine menagerie display wagons. Once the parade was done (if done at all), the cage wagons were lined up around the edges inside of a tent called the menagerie. Patrons had to walk through this tent to get into the Big-Top. In these display wagons were all the exotic creatures the show carried that required being caged. In the center of the tent, between the main poles, were elephants, zebras, camels, giraffes and other stock that could be displayed more openly.

I didn't have a plan when I began to remodel my LL cage wagon, I opted to feel it out as I went along, making notes for further builds. I think the differences are quite obvious....Each wagon, when painted, will be a different color.
general006.jpg

general007.jpg

And seeing that I'm doing a portion of the cage cut of the train, thought I'd thow in a pic that will make Prieser collectors tremble.......
general013.jpg

Yep, eight cage wagons stripped, and ready for paint.

Til next time.....

Johnny

Back