Modeling Wheel Ruts on a Graded Gravel Industrial Lot

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
One of my lineside industries is a bulk cement wholesaler with three large concrete silos, receiving its product by rail, and distributing it locally by truck. The trucks drive thru the bottoms of the structures [similar to a flood loader], entering at one end, loading up, and exiting the other end. The surrounding terrain is plain gravel, and I'm attempting to simulate the areas where truck tires have left a hard, packed-down surface as they traverse the lot approaching and departing from the silos.

Truth be told, this started as a flat plywood surface painted grayish-brown. I thought the scenery would be something I could just throw down quickly over a few evenings - big mistake! As I've gotten into it, it's becoming more obvious that if I were to do this "right", I would have to remove all the structures and cover everything with hydrocal. But I don't want to go down that rabbit hole - too many other projects that need my attention - so I'm making the best of what I already have.

At first, I thought I could use Woodland Scenics "scrubbed dirt" ballast. It's the perfect color when poured out of the container. But it needs to be cemented down...and when I apply a watered-down white glue to it, it darkens - and when the glue dries it looks like MUD!:oops: Similar to what happens to light weathering powder applied to a dark surface when you spray it with dullcote.

Next, I tried painting the surface with a dirt-brown colored flat latex paint. The color is correct, but as with all latex paints that I've seen, "flat" actually means "a little less glossy." It has that plastic-looking "sheen" that kills the appearance of dry, sun-baked dirt.

Finally I decided I'd have to settle for just having the wheel ruts in that latex brown color, with the surrounding color being different. Trace out the tire trails, splat down white glue with "dead grass" turf on adjoining surfaces, then rub-on some of that dirt ballast after it dries...yeah, that should do it!

First, figure out where the tractor and trailer wheels would roll over when exiting the silo. (I had to use a tank trailer instead of the bulk trailers, because none of those actually attach to their tractors and they cannot be rolled!)
SummitCementDriveway01.jpg

Apply more dirt-brown latex over the areas where the wheel paths would be:
SummitCementDriveway03.jpg

Outline the wheel trails with white glue, apply turf. (The turf appears to have completely soaked into the glue here):
SummitCementDriveway04.jpg

SummitCementDriveway06.jpg

After 'outline' glue dries, apply glue to the remaining open areas:
SummitCementDriveway07.jpg

SummitCementDriveway08.jpg

And finally, rub in the "dirt" ballast and vacuum-up the excess:
SummitCementDriveway09.jpg

SummitCementDriveway10.jpg

Unfortunately, some of the turf applied to the outlying areas reacted differently when applied to the glue, resulting in mismatched textures. Guess I'll have to cover that up with shrubbery and flocking; static grass is NOT an option, that space is way too difficult for me to reach - don't want to disassemble and reassemble that silo structure, it took me forever to get those things to line up properly!

Funny how one of the simplest most common things in the real world is also one of the hardest to model!
Yours is looking pretty good! I think a few shots of similar colors with an airbrush will blend it in nicely.
I’ve been to some tight places with tridem trailers like that, they really tear up the ground.
One thing I've always wanted to model is tire tracks dug into boulevards where trucks make tight turns.

Funny how one of the simplest most common things in the real world is also one of the hardest to model!
Yours is looking pretty good! I think a few shots of similar colors with an airbrush will blend it in nicely.
I’ve been to some tight places with tridem trailers like that, they really tear up the ground.
One thing I've always wanted to model is tire tracks dug into boulevards where trucks make tight turns.
Hi Rick, I was hoping you'd weigh-in with your experience as a driver of those big rigs, if you think it looks good then I'm definitely happy!

To model wheel ruts in a gravel road or driveway, I use a HO wheel set and just run it around in the soft medium before the glue sets. Instant wheel ruts.

Greg

View attachment 42394
Wheel ruts in the soft, muddy road. The ruts look better in person.-Greg
Greg, if I'd planned this properly from the git-go [i.e. before I built and planted the cement silos] I would have done it in some way similar to yours. I really like the operating lights on the truck, btw!

Last edited:
Thanks Ken...the truck is from Woodland Scenic's Just Plug It system and the gravel road material is actually sand from Sedona, Arizona. I used Woodland's Scenic Cement to bind the sand. The sand was hard to work with since many "wetting" methods I tried didn't work and the sand took a long period to time to absorb the wet water.

I wonder what TSA agents thought when they found a plastic bag of sand in the luggage?

Greg

Time for an update:

When I originally started this thread two weeks ago, I assumed I was finished with the terrain treatment of this lineside industry. So when took off the entire week of Christmas for vacation, I had grand plans for how I would apply hydrocal and static grass on areas closer to the front of the aisle. As I was gathering the necessary tools and materials, I happened to notice the terrain around the cement silos - and it just seemed too fuzzy, didn't look real. I decided I'd better cover the non-wheel-rutted areas with some other material before going any further. What I hoped would be a one-day task wound up becoming a time-consuming quagmire, as I found myself doing the Thomas Edison method of trial-and-error to get the elusive result. I'll describe the unfolding of events in "diary" style for easier reading.

Thursday 12/19/2019 - Covered the rubbed-in dirt terrain with white glue, sprinkled on WS Earth Turf "fine" grade. Paused work to allow glue to dry overnight.

Friday 12/20/2019 - Saw that the Earth Turf had great texture, but colors were too vivid and had too much green; prepared a watered-down mixture of flat dirt-brown latex paint and soaked it into all the turf surfaces. Paused to allow paint to dry overnight.

Saturday 12/21/2019 - Found that the watered-down dirt-brown paint, once dried, had only slightly toned down the vivid colors; turf still looked too much like mowed grass rather than gravel. Thickened the mixture of diluted "dirt", applied another layer to all turf surfaces, and left it to dry overnight.

Sunday 12/22/2019 - Once again discovered that the thinned dirt-colored paint liquid had sunk to the bottom, with very little residue left on the visible turf surface ; it still resembled a mowed lawn instead of graded gravel. In desperation, I decided to try applying a patch of straight (un-diluted) dirt latex paint to an obscure area of turf behind the silos, hoping that maybe that would have an impact on the turf color; left it to dry overnight.

Monday 12/23/2019 - found that the undiluted dirt-brown paint had completely coated the hidden turf in a single color with the typical latex "plastic" sheen, with no resemblance to real dirt! After spewing my entire vocabulary of "nautical jargon", I found some leftover filtered-out stones from the WS Dirt Ballast and sprinkled that onto the turf. The color mix looked great to the untrained eye, so I covered the parking areas with it. Thought the problem was finally solved and snapped a few photos to share on the forum; only then did I notice that the brutally-objective camera lens made the parking lots look like they were covered with boulders that only a 4x4 off-road vehicle could travel on. Back to the drawing board...

Tuesday 12/24/2019 - used a metal wire brush to remove the oversized stones from parking areas; improved the texture, but it still didn't look right. Decided I would visit Home Depot the day after Chrsitmas and get some fine-grit filtered white "play" sand (the stuff used in kids' sandboxes) and apply that to the parking areas, since it would look like limestone gravel - i.e. a more "legit" surface for vehicle parking.

Thursday 12/26/2019 - discovered [after two hours of online searches] that none of the home improvement stores within a 100-mile radius of my home had the filtered white sand in stock, apparently it is a seasonal item. Light bulb moment: I could place an online order with MB Klein for WS "fine" grade light-gray ballast and drive there to get it. (Dang, shoulda thought of that earlier!:rolleyes:) Had to wait another three hours before order would be available for me to pick up. Soon as I got back home, I put down a layer of white glue and applied ballast to all areas previously covered by turf - i.e., everything except the wheel ruts. Left to dry overnight.

Friday 12/27/2019 - Vacuumed-up all the loose ballast from the previous night, revealing the wheel ruts.
SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo15-1.jpg

SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo15-2.jpg

Preliminary results looked promising, so I applied some diluted dirt-colored paint to the wheel ruts and covered them with a very thin sprinkling of the WS light-gray ballast; left to dry.

Saturday 12/28/2019 - Took the blunt end of a Sharpie, and used that to scrape away ballast particles from the center of the wheel ruts.
SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo16-1.jpg

This, along with the abrasive action of the loosened ballast granules, resulted in strips of light brown that resembled packed-down dirt from repeated truck traffic - finally, the result I had been aiming for!
SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo16-2.jpg

Later on, I used a pipette to soak diluted dirt-colored paint into the broad areas of ballast that were not part of the parking area [or hidden behind the silos].
SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo16-3.jpg

SummitCementGravelLot_AttemptNo16-4.jpg

At this point, I think I'm ready to reassemble the structures and place the vehicles in the parking areas, then I'll shoot some trackside-angle photos. I'll probably hold off applying any spots of vegetation until I can see a photo of a similar 1:1 scale industry, I don't want to screw up something that took me 10 ******* days to get right!

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got the scene finished late on the afternoon of New Years Day. A local mrr friend of mine suggested I get a GoogleMaps aerial view of the US Gypsum plant in southwest Baltimore, and sure enough, I found a similar prototype for this structure that I kit-bashed solely from my imagination! Not an exact match - the lanes are paved with asphalt, and the ductwork is different - but it's close enough for my purposes:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2096729,-76.545514,83m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2103224,-76.5447603,3a,75y,213.76h,94.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sog1tNMLicQtapXCmyWE41A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Based on the above views, I decided to add scattered spots of "powdered" grass to the white ballast-covered areas that are NOT used for parking; that's the only thing different from what I posted last Sunday. Plus, I put static grass between the cement plant and the main line track.

I already shared these photos in the Coffee Shop thread, so you may have already seen them:

SummitCementFinished01.jpg

SummitCementFinished03.jpg

Thanks everybody for the "likes" & comments!

Back