Modeling the NY City Transit "EL" Lines

Heaping superlatives on ya!

Great tremendous modeling. I rode the old orange trolleys in Washington PA during the late 40s and early 50s. Our town also had an interurban that ran to Pittsburgh. Great memories.

July 5, 2018 --- U P D A T E

WHAT HAPPENED to all the photos I posted on this thread ??? Many are all gone - most notably on messages I posted showing "last edited by a moderator"... What is the purpose of providing photo captions for photos that are removed "without reason or permission of" the author ??

Sunday 7-8-2018 new UPDATE -- thanks to encouragement and support from Staff Member TONY -- I have re-installed (I hope) all "removed, mkissing" photos in this thread -- so new forum members - see what you missed....

regards - Joe F

Last edited:
The photo's were removed by a moderator back in 2012; as such, ascertaining a reason why that occurred is unlikely after 6 years. However, the issue has been brought to our attention and is being looked into.

Hello Tony (Staff member)

Thank you very much for the very fast reply -- I also sent a "report" using that mode on one of my messages with the photos removed.

I was sent an email by a reader who was reviewing this (yeah, its 6 years old already) thread recently -- and who is interested in the modeling subject matter. The reader was confused as to why I had posted so many photo captions for photos on many replies I made to respondents -- but all those photos were missing !!! That's when I check the thread (I have a saved-link to it) and discovered this issue.

Is that moderator still with the forum -- and if so, what was his reason for doing such a thing !? Seems ridiculous or possible simply spiteful !

Thanks for your help and reply !

Regards - Joseph Frank

Attachments

• IMG_4534.JPG
    IMG_4534.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 358
Joe,

As the notation only stated "last edited by a moderator", as such I have no idea who that moderator was or, if that person is still apart of the forums.

Recently, the forums were drastically upgraded and new moderators were put in place. All I can do is discuss the missing photo's with the other moderators, and the administrator, and see if we cannot find out what happened.

I wish I could tell you more but you have to understand that what took place did so long before the current moderators were moderators; as such, and being perfectly honest with you, the likely hood of discovering what happened is, regretfully, unlikely.

Hello Tony !

Thanks again for your candid and honest comments and appraisal of the situation. I noted that it was only on this "Showing Off" Discussion section that my then-Thread posted there was where my photos were compromised, removed, by "a moderator". It was not done, that I can see, on my other threads.

At this point in time, perhaps I should "edit" those messages on the older 2012 thread and insert replacement photos to pretty much match the already archived printed text captions (for the removed photos) on those postings by me. And to make those messages "make some sense", heh !

I appreciate your input and concern -- and thank you. At this point, I agree that whatever happened, and by whom, is now lost in 6 years time ! But much Thanks anyway !

regards - Joe F

Joe,

Your welcome and thank you for understanding the situation, that is appreciated. All too often moderators are seen as the "enemy" when in fact, we are here to help if and where we can.

What you are suggesting sounds very fair to me and look forward to seeing the photo's.

Joe,

Your welcome and thank you for understanding the situation, that is appreciated. All too often moderators are seen as the "enemy" when in fact, we are here to help if and where we can.

What you are suggesting sounds very fair to me and look forward to seeing the photo's.

Hello again Tony !
(staff member)

Thank you for the support and honesty. I spent part of a large part of Saturday going thru this thread carefully and re-installing the missing photos (with added improvements and captions for many) -- so this thread will now again be whole and make some "sense" to readers of this modeling topic material (ie: Transit, Traction, Trolleys, EL & Subway,)

I SUGGEST that any of your newest forum members and readers - who may be interested in this modeling subject - check out this THREAD for its modeling and photos content --especially those persons who previously reviewed it and found most of the indicated photos, strangely "missing" !

Regards ! and Thanks for the help !

Joe F

Glad you found the pictures and was able to restore the thread. I have just been back through the thread and the pictures all look fine to me so hopefully all is now well.

I should also say that your work is stunning, to say the least. The detail and construction is truly first class!

I hate being kept waiting for answers so I wont/refuse keep others waiting either. Yep, I'm a night owl - am still working on Australian time, even after 10 years of living in the US and (possibly) too many nights having to work as well.

Some of my HO Scale Mainline New Haven Railroad Passenger Trains -- I customized some of these cars with additional logos where required and some partial repainting where prototypical required... it was not uncommon for a Pennsy Diesel to haul a New Haven RR long distance -Boston MA., to Washington DC) consist on Pennsy RR track territory. Shown on my train room "around the room" shelf operating layout.

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3390.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

IMG_3393.JPG

Regards - Joe F

Last edited:
Hello Sir (fold a lot)

THANKS for the nice comments. I managed an O Scale Magazine (O Scale News) for 18 months -- was an Editor / Columnist for Electric Lines Magazine, and wrote numerous articles for traction modeling magazines -- have been a writer all my life (and photographer among numerous "professional hats")

Glad you enjoyed my "stories" -- actually they are factual, sometimes historical, commentaries and discussions I write . When I write an article for a magazine or even simply a forum board site, I strive to make it informative, interesting, factual - and have photos with captions which enhance and support the text.

Regards - Joe F

`````````````````

Other than the absence of the 'Almond Joy' cars, it reminds me of the old Frankford EL in Philly. We used to spend a week there growing up, at my Grandmothers-used to have to ride the trackless trolleys to get to the end of the EL. When I was 10 years old, I wrote to Life-Like asking if they made any subway cars. I got a nice note back that said 'we have no plans to make subway cars at this time.' Still got it around somewhere.
Upper Darby or Frankfort/Bridesburg?

I was born in the Bronx in 47.. I'm 71 now living in L.A. (ret. musician). I have glimpses of the early cars you've superbly built, and rode the IRT Red Birds/BlueBirds, IND, and BMT subways 'til I left NYC in the 1960s..I did go out to 82nd st Jackson Heights in the 60s to my first band I was in and so saw allot of the L type support (scaffolding / trestle work ?) at 174 st (wasn't it ?) in Queens. I mostly rode the IRT as I lived with my parents on the upper West Side..Loved the old South Ferry station with the very sharp/screechy curve and the "passengers please stand clear of the moving platform as trains enter and leave this statiion" announcement. From there we'd take the Ferry and ride the SIRT out to Tottenville.. Wonderful times...!
Your modeling ability is beyond belief !..Sometimes it's hard to tell the model from the 1:1 scale pics !! Night or dark you really capture the sights of NYC and the L work to a T !!
My only, ONLY criticism is that many of the figures are unrealistic and taint otherwise 101%, AAA1 modeling skills... Thanks for the ride...M

I was born in the Bronx in 47.. I'm 71 now living in L.A. (ret. musician). I have glimpses of the early cars you've superbly built, and rode the IRT Red Birds/BlueBirds, IND, and BMT subways 'til I left NYC in the 1960s..I did go out to 82nd st Jackson Heights in the 60s to my first band I was in and so saw allot of the L type support (scaffolding / trestle work ?) at 174 st (wasn't it ?) in Queens. I mostly rode the IRT as I lived with my parents on the upper West Side..Loved the old South Ferry station with the very sharp/screechy curve and the "passengers please stand clear of the moving platform as trains enter and leave this statiion" announcement. From there we'd take the Ferry and ride the SIRT out to Tottenville.. Wonderful times...!
Your modeling ability is beyond belief !..Sometimes it's hard to tell the model from the 1:1 scale pics !! Night or dark you really capture the sights of NYC and the L work to a T !!
My only, ONLY criticism is that many of the figures are unrealistic and taint otherwise 101%, AAA1 modeling skills... Thanks for the ride...M

HELLO "M" --

Thanks for the comments - appreciated. This is my first time back here since 2019. I have a few websites I daily maintain - plus ongoing modeling projects. I am a retired musician (pianist) worked as such regularly for for 40 years or so - am retired from it since 2010. All my work was in the Pennsy area. I have a Facebook site of my own photos and color slides I took in mid-late 1950's thru end of that El in April 1973, of the Bronx 3rd Ave El called "The Late Great Bronx 3rd Ave EL" . As for my modeling, i TRY to replicate as much as modeling possible -- the realism and scenes of what I recall in prototype of the EL's and their equipment. YES -- I try to not have many model people in scenes because they just don't appear natural ! And those very realistic ones made in O Scale (Artista, etc) cost $2 to $5 each. To expensive for my needs. Here BELOW are just a few of my man newest scenes loaded to my FLICKR site -- with 2 photos showing just a few of my many ALL fully Scratchbuilt scale NY Transit Subway-El work cars ------------- Regards - Joe F

20190327_024452.jpg

20190327_025912.jpg
IMG_5032.JPG

20190327_025459.jpg

Last edited:

Back