Modeling Soot On a Diesel Roof

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
As many of you know by now, I'm weathering a GP38-2 and I'm looking for a way to weather the soot found on the roofs of diesel locomotives by the stacks and roof vents. I thought of a base of Black Pan Pastel power applied with a make up brush, followed by a coat(s) of Dullcote and then rust effects.

What is your advise and what method(s) have you found to be effective to model soot?

Thanks.

Greg

Greg, I use an airbrush and Floquil engine black. More sprayed towards the rear than the cab.

thumbnail5.jpg
4.jpg

Jerome: I'm alos finished with that GP38-2 and I used only Arylics, oils and a touch of Pan Pastels. Tomorrow or Friday, I do several coats of Dullcote to dull and seal the model and then I'll look for white or spots that I missed and do some touch up.

I been using fast drying thinner for the oils and that seems to make them dry faster.

Below is my Wisconsin Central locomotive that was weathered by Steve Hurt.

The weathering goes fairly rapidly, but time is needed for drying especially the oils. The acrylics are dry in 30 minutes.

Glad you like the "Rust Buckets"....times are rough on the CM&N Railroad. I like patched Cotton Belt locomotive of yours.

Greg

1F6D662F-8475-420B-9442-B7EA66CE87F7.jpeg

New Ore Cars.jpg
My first weathered locomotive using only an air brush and some powders.-Greg

As many of you know by now, I'm weathering a GP38-2 and I'm looking for a way to weather the soot found on the roofs of diesel locomotives by the stacks and roof vents. I thought of a base of Black Pan Pastel power applied with a make up brush, followed by a coat(s) of Dullcote and then rust effects.

What is your advise and what method(s) have you found to be effective to model soot?

Thanks.

Greg
I use grimy black on the wents using a micro brush. The top around the exhaust I airbrush grimy black. The Dash 8-40CW in the middle you can see the best.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpg
    IMG_3080.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 194

Back